is LOLER worth anything?

Tom D

Ppe is 6 months

Non ppe like rigging is 12 months

Well now, here is the 'elephant in the room'. :sneaky2:

Again, taken from Thorough examinations and inspections of lifting equipment - Work equipment and machinery

What are the specified intervals for regular thorough examinations?

Unless there is an 'examination scheme' specifying other intervals, thorough examinations should be conducted every:

• 6 months, for lifting equipment and any associated accessories used to lift people

• 6 months, for all lifting accessories

• 12 months, for all other lifting equipment

Define a 'lifting accessory' :001_tongue:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, taken from Thorough examinations and inspections of lifting equipment - Work equipment and machinery

Unless there is an 'examination scheme' specifying other intervals, thorough examinations should be conducted every:

•  
  • 6 months, for lifting equipment and any associated accessories used to lift people

•  

•  

An accessory used for lifting

Simple really haha

Slings and chains and suchlike that would be an accessory to a crane for example.

You capture the exact point I was expressing?

A 6/12 month independent LOLER check is an administrative requirement that, in my opinion, will never be as critical and strenuous as the user checks (if done critically) because the user has a vested interest in checking the kit they are about to swing in.

There are good points in the thread about protecting employees from using "tired" or shared company kit and I guess we're all coming at the discussion from an individual viewpoint / perspective.

I don't borrow / share / loan my kit and I don't outsource responsibility for checking it to someone else.

Do you critically look at a lot of others climbers kit on a regular basis though?

I have lost count of the times that I have come across Krabs with useless gates, ropes with the end full of silky knicks (not to mention the hundreds of prussics that are so frizzy or glazed that I wouldn't use them to hang my chainsaw on, let alone climb on).

Why do people chance their life on such duff kit?

1) gradual decline - they hardly notice it getting worse (generally prussic loops)

2) apathy - they are fed up with messing about trying to get stupid 'self lockers' to work, so they stop bothering

3) tight wad-ness - those silky knicks always seem to be on the 'spliced eye end' of a nearly new rope.

Just try borrowing someone else's kit to do a really tall spindly tree above a set of nasty spikey railings, and tell me you feel perfectly comfortable.

Edited by Mat

So if I was using a bollard for rigging, would I use any accessories with it (such slings)?

Hmmmm

IMO

I would call that a rigging system.

The only issue is the inspection interval, most tree surgeons conforming to LOLER will have equipment requiring a 6 month interval so just chuck it all in every 6 months

Hmmmm

IMO

I would call that a rigging system.

The only issue is the inspection interval, most tree surgeons conforming to LOLER will have equipment requiring a 6 month interval so just chuck it all in every 6 months

Hi all why not check it EACH TIME YOU USE IT BUT HAY HOLE WHAT DO I NO THANKS JON

Do you critically look at a lot of others climbers kit on a regular basis though?

I have lost count of the times that I have come across Krabs with useless gates, ropes with the end full of silky knicks (not to mention the hundreds of prussics that are so frizzy or glazed that I wouldn't use them to hang my chainsaw on, let alone climb on).

Why do people chance their life on such duff kit?

1) gradual decline - they hardly notice it getting worse (generally prussic loops)

2) apathy - they are fed up with messing about trying to get stupid 'self lockers' to work, so they stop bothering

3) tight wad-ness - those silky knicks always seem to be on the 'spliced eye end' of a nearly new rope.

Just try borrowing someone else's kit to do a really tall spindly tree above a set of nasty spikey railings, and tell me you feel perfectly comfortable.

Yet still no accidents, thats my point.

I know loler isn't going away, I'm just playing devils advocate here..

I don't use rigging gear any more, so it really affect me, but...

Page 11 of the LOLER acop defines “accessory for lifting” as lifting equipment for attaching loads to machinery for lifting

One of HSE's definitions of machinery is:

an assembly of linked parts or components, at least one of which moves and which are joined together, intended for lifting loads and whose only power source is directly applied human effort

(Taken from the machinery directive)

A number of rigging devices meet this definition (Stein dual bollard / GRCS etc), so, just maybe, all 'accessories' used with these should be under a 6 month scheme of thorough examination?