Another zigzag bites the dust!!!!

coleman

whats worring me is in there saftey update they say they cant work out how they broke so to me that suggests that they are not testing them rigorously enough.

oh and its now six that have been sent back , starting to think about swapping my new one for a lockjack while its still in the packet.

carl

One word for you Carlos. Hitch Hiker!

Solid steel. No moving parts. Mid-line attachable> Put a pulley under and it's like a HC on DdRT> Change your TIP and climb SRT.

Best of all worlds.

One word for you Carlos. Hitch Hiker!

Solid steel. No moving parts. Mid-line attachable> Put a pulley under and it's like a HC on DdRT> Change your TIP and climb SRT.

Best of all worlds.

ye i had a look and it does look versatile, although ive always found hitches a pain to get to run spot on, were as mechanical is the same each day ( unless it breaks of course!)

thanks carl

After the initial cost of a lock jack you only need to replace the cams every year or so (£10) maybe a friction plate ever 5 years (£20) and if I'm being perfectly honest with the the rope you already use with a prussik you can change without spending even more money which can do the job of a zig zag no need to change to a 11.5m rope. It just seems crazy to use one specially after the first recal

I didn't come here to knock the ZZ it just doesn't make sence to use one for the cost specially if you can't replace any parts

Plus lack of confidence in petzl

Forgot to add modifications I've added a swivel to mine. Which at the end of the day I see ART making existing equipment better

A cam a year:sneaky2: most climbers I know are going through 3-4 a year. And swivels are fairly pointless. The Zig Zag is a fairly simple fit and forget device that is easy to get to grips with for climbers already used to the hitchclimber style of climbing.

I know a few guys still on the mk1 ZZ that is showing only a little wear, so no reason why they cannot last 4-5 years maintenance free which makes it a good investment.

For me though I find the zig zag to limiting and prefer the hitchclimber and the little tricks and good design that allow me to climb efficiently.

You did just say swivels are fairly pointless?

When the bloody chain links get torqued laterally in a direction they can't go? They fracture and fail at the most highly leveraged points.

All that's required to solve that problem permanently is the addition of a second swivel at the chain attachment point to the body plates. The chain will still function as intended, and the entire system more pliant to a rope's natural lay.

Try and operate a crane without a bloody swivel on the hook.

If you're going to get high tech, then double up on the swivel points already.

Jomoco

You did just say swivels are fairly pointless?

When the bloody chain links get torqued laterally in a direction they can't go? They fracture and fail at the most highly leveraged points.

All that's required to solve that problem permanently is the addition of a second swivel at the chain attachment point to the body plates. The chain will still function as intended, and the entire system more pliant to a rope's natural lay.

Try and operate a crane without a bloody swivel on the hook.

If you're going to get high tech, then double up on the swivel points already.

Jomoco

It appears to be failing at the lowest leverage point, and yeah I stand by my comment swivels on bridge connectors are pointless for the most part as we do not swivel on doubled rope systems.

I had a swivel on my bridge about 4 years ago as I thought it might alleviate the hocking of my climb line.

The swivel just made the problems 10x worse.

I stand by Marks comment that a swivel is pretty pointless in this type of application.