Another zigzag bites the dust!!!!

coleman

Many thanks Mark, I was advised to contact Petzl but have now learnt Lyon are the UK contacts! Should have posted on Arb talk first!

No problem

In regards to some earlier questions,

The cracks are nothing to do with misuse it is purely a manufacturing issue.

This has been rectified with the newer version that has thickened links(there is a slight hump on them) and a change to the manufacturing process.

Tests have been carried out where they basically destroyed (cut through)one side of the link, the zigzag still held together therefore there is no recall on this version but it will be replaced if cracks are found well, as long as its within 10 years. Steve, will you still be climbing then? :001_smile:

There is a petzl article about it all , I will post a link when I find it.

Well, its been a fascinating read this thread has..

I started off thinking, (No way would I ever buy one of those death traps).. then ruminated on the possible reasons why this zigzag thing might of failed.

I put it down to user miss use, then thought, well maybe not, maybe production faults on the metals used. stress built up during production of some but not all products..

Then Mark Skyland turns up and explains all..

Not a death trap after all, maybe I should get one one day..

Anyways, I'm now reassured about this zigzag prusic, which is a total 180degree turn from were I started when I turned up to read it earlier yesterday..

Well, its been a fascinating read this thread has..

I started off thinking, (No way would I ever buy one of those death traps).. then ruminated on the possible reasons why this zigzag thing might of failed.

I put it down to user miss use, then thought, well maybe not, maybe production faults on the metals used. stress built up during production of some but not all products..

Then Mark Skyland turns up and explains all..

Not a death trap after all, maybe I should get one one day..

Anyways, I'm now reassured about this zigzag prusic, which is a total 180degree turn from were I started when I turned up to read it earlier yesterday..

I d recommend the zigzag as the problems are with the mk1 and 2,mk 3 seem to be ok so far.Hope they hold up-although i ll be inspecting mine pre + post climb-every time.

I d recommend the zigzag as the problems are with the mk1 and 2,mk 3 seem to be ok so far.Hope they hold up-although i ll be inspecting mine pre + post climb-every time.

You ought to be doing that with anything you use

Arborists should be trained to carry out a daily pre-use check of their lifting equipment and, in the case of items subject to high levels of wear and tear (ie ropes), a written weekly record of inspection should be kept.

Lifting equipment in arboriculture

You ought to be doing that with anything you use

Arborists should be trained to carry out a daily pre-use check of their lifting equipment and, in the case of items subject to high levels of wear and tear (ie ropes), a written weekly record of inspection should be kept.

Lifting equipment in arboriculture

Your right,no questions asked,but really how many climbers do this every day-in truth probably very few

Yea, gonna get one come spring..

at the moment I' just learning some of the basics.. I haven't even hoisted myself up a tree yet LOL..

Although I have occasionally done the odd tree, I used ladders and climbed up the rest holding onto the branches for dear life..