Bloody fox!

Farmerdowling

i have never been one for guns. but love watching dogs work their quarry.

my boarder or mother in laws lakeland and 'border lakeland russel' would sort most fox problems. game keeper nr me found a dog and a vixen tied... the terriers soon dispatched them!!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have never been one for guns. but love watching dogs work their quarry.

my boarder or mother in laws lakeland and 'border lakeland russel' would sort most fox problems. game keeper nr me found a dog and a vixen tied... the terriers soon dispatched them!!!

As much as I'm in favour of dispatching vermin, the above is the illegal bit.

As much as I'm in favour of dispatching vermin, the above is the illegal bit.

And rightly so, I work terriers, but dickheads like that are the reason hunting with dogs was banned, shame they spoiled it for the rest of us

Is it illegal if you are hunting vermin ? I thought it was only illegal to hunt game with dogs. My fox terrier bless her when she was alive she would have got me hung as she wouldn't stop hunting. I was walking her on a trail on her flexy lead and she caught a rabbit in the bushes beside the trail.

Rabbits and rats are exempt from the hunting act, terrier work is still legal but can only use one terrier to ground and fox has to be dispatched with a firearm

I was going to contradict you but when I was looking for a quote to paste in, I found a clause which does indeed allow the hunting of rabbits with dogs, although I'm sure there was a case recently where amongst other offences someone was charged with the pursuance of bunnies.

Just goes to show....what a badly written piece of legislation the Act is and how confused I am?

From Gov website........

Hunting and the law

You can be fined up to £5,000 if you’re found guilty of illegal hunting.

Hunting with dogs

You can’t hunt some animals, like foxes, hares and deer, but you can hunt under certain conditions, for example:

stalking and flushing out - but only to control pests and only if they’re shot as soon as possible afterwards

hunting rats and rabbits

retrieving hares that have been shot

rescuing wounded animals, as long as they weren’t wounded on purpose

drag hunting and trail hunting