How much discount on unseasoned wood sales?

adowning7

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I looked at is same amount of work and material. The customers should take more responsability for drying the wood. If I put the money in an isa or bank acct the most I would earn is 3% so give that as a discount. Keep the wood in the yard it will be worth at least 15% more next year when seasoned.

None. Why give it away, you still gotta move it and split it and deliver it. That's why the firewood market is on its knees, to many people flogging it cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Unless you are using a kiln, the only part of the logging process that doesn't cost you is the drying so there is no reason to give a discount. :001_smile:

I never discount un seasoned, its still the same product and it costs more to deliver un seasoned logs due to weight of water.

Agree with all that. :thumbup1:

I have a glut of Beech after the storms most of it pretty sopping to the point where whilst splitting it you keep thinking its starting to rain.

I need to get shot of a few tonne and want to sell it asap for customers to season themselves.

How much discount is the norm to take into account the fact I have not got to store and handle it as many times? I was thinking of 15% off of next seasons price so not much less than what they have paid this year!

Would have thought 15% seems bang on :thumbup:

There are some tight gits on here :001_tt2:

Suppose it depends how you do your logs. I cut from roundwood then store until dry then deliver. Processing straight into the trailer saves all the storing and reloading so got to be worth some discount. If you process from dry roundwood already not much time saved for you but need to offer some discount to incentivise folks to buy it.

Don't see the problem selling it cheaper for unseasoned wood. You can split it straight into the truck and deliver it, rather than stacking it in the yard for a year then selling it.

:thumbup1:

People on here slag of people for selling wet wood as seasoned, but when someone suggests selling unseasoned at a lower price, clearly stating it needs seasoning, people find fault :confused1:

Storage costs money, anyone who thinks it doesn't needs to go look at their costs, because there are will be lots of other costs your not considering.