Top handle saw use on the ground

alex01

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HSE say "One-handed use should be restricted to circumstances where one hand is required to

maintain a stable working position and the saw is used at extended reach with the

other hand, eg while cutting at the extremities of limbs."

So it is OK to take chances whilst up a tree, but if you are standing on the ground, in a stable position using both hands, you can't use a top handled saw.

What a load of tosh. Is this the same across the rest of Europe?

Perhaps our European human rites are being infringed.

H-A

Even IF you have both hans on a top handled saw you still don't have the control over it that you would have over a rear handles saw.

For those that weren't around or have forgotten, the top handled saw thing came about because of several accidents specifically where climbers leaving the tree couldn't resist nipping a few bits up with a top handled saw.

The HSE rattled their sabre and said if you can't be trusted with them we will legislate against top handle saws. This was largely an empty threat because the cost of raising primary legislation to ban top handled saws would have been prohibitively expensive.

The HSE preferred option is to get an industry to regulate itself and that's what they did. The saw manufacturers agreed to sell top handle saws only to those who could demonstrate suitable qualification.

The HSE do still have the option of prosecuting anyone injuring themselves or allowing others to injure themselves

"Even if you have both hands on a top handled saw, you still don't have the control over it that you would have over a rear handles saw."

So prosecute single handed users , and people injured whilst using single handed.

Single handed where ever, is far more dangerous than two handed on the ground.

H-A

Use a rear handle saw of similar size and weight...

If your employer won't provide one use a hand pruning saw('silky saw' other brands are available but to date inferior) you'll get a better cut, bit more time and effort but worth it...

all major contacts and employers i have worked for have a strict policy of no top handle use on the ground.

If your self employed and a domestic tree surgeon its your call, I have used my top handle on the ground at home carrying out fruit tree pruning, but would never do it on contract.

I also drink alcohol at home but never at work.

I free climb trees and rock faces at home or on holiday but would never do it at work.

I have done do a lot of challenging and sometimes reckless things in the name of recreation and excitement,

At work its different, rules are rules, always question them but take heed ignore them and it goes wrong you, your employer and all the staff at your company will pay the price.