Top handle saw use on the ground

alex01

Hi all, im having a bit of a disagreement with a guy at work, he is a grass cutter and dosent know anything about tree surgery but is 2nd foreman!, ive been a tree surgoen (climber+groundsman) for nearly 9 years now and have a level 3 qualification, but he dosent allow me to use a top handle saw on the ground! but for pruning cuts on trees (for limbs bigger than silky size) you get a far better cut than using a groundsaw! dispite in my last 8 years of tree surgery both my previous bosses allowed me to use top handle saws on hedge reductions from the ground and on banks or generally where its safer to use a more compact saw

i know top handle saws are for tree climbing only but can they be used for ground based pruning, does anyone know what the law says about this? afag and the hse websites dont cover it!

cheers

Alex

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where it says that top handles are for climbing only.

They are still a two handed saw anyway. They are not specifically a one handed saw as there is no such thing.

So long as you use it like a rear handled saw and don't just do a quick odd cut one handed.

It's perfectly ok to use a top handled saw on the ground. It's not recommended in the afag guidelines as the temptation to use it one handed is strong and it can be demonstrated that many chainsaw injuries occur from using a top handle one handed on the ground.

We endeavour to use rear handles on the ground and top handle in the tree. It's not black and white. Pruning off low limbs is fine with a top handle.

they are for use when climbing only...'Top-handled chainsaws are only suitable for use off the ground. Operators must

use rear-handled saws when working on the ground.' AFAG 308

I've heard of a tree-company losing a Council contract for ground use of top-handled saws, also heard of a £1,000 fine from HSE...£500 for the operator and £500 for the Company owner.

...and yes, it is easier to prune from the ground with a top handle saw!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag308.pdf

Hi I've been a climber for 5 years and college for 3, always told in college never to use a top handle on the ground as it's 'dangerous' but IMO it's only as dangerous as the user. I think they say it to stop people being complacent and using it with one hand. For me the top handle is the best ground saw there is, it's lightweight and quick for cutting that bloody branch that doesn't fit in the chipper also good for little prunes just so long as it's used as it should be

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk mobile app

they are for use when climbing only...'Top-handled chainsaws are only suitable for use off the ground. Operators must

I've heard of a tree-company losing a Council contract for ground use of top-handled saws, also heard of a £1,000 fine from HSE...£500 for the operator and £500 for the Company owner.

Wow. Still isn't law tho. "Only suitable" not "must be", but I do see the points that get made tho. It is tempting to do it.

I'm pretty sure it will have been the way the saw was being used, IE one handed, that led to the fine, not simple the use of a top-handle on the ground.

If you are employed by the council etc and cut yourself while using a top handle on the ground how would you stand with a claim for loss of work etc?

Climb the tree as quick as!

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk mobile app