stress

My doctor told me I was suffering from stress the other week.

I'm a typical man, not known for flagging up health concerns with professionals nor looking after myself, and I've been a bit run down over the last year or two.

He looked me over, signs of IBS, low immune system, not sleeping very well etc and says 'you're stressed mate'. What a load of cobblers.

So he asked me some questions and after 4 or 5 I had to agree with him that I could well be a bit stressed.

The most useful thing he said to me was 'you don't have to feel stressed to be suffering from stress'.... I happen to think myself very lucky and have a great work/life balance.

But apparently the thing mssing from my work life balance is me.

Boys, and girls, make time for yourselves. Play golf, go to the pub, read a book.

In this day and age of taking the world onto our shoulders and trying to provide the best for our families, it's very easy to get bogged down in trivia and neglect ourselves.

And often we don't even realise we're doing it.

A 10 minute chat with a GP can make all the difference.

And if I'm saying that it MUST be true!

Peace out....:001_cool:

• 2 months later...

Sorry to relive an old thread. But I also want to add my story.

I started up 6 years ago now, and when I first started I hit the ground running. I had alot of savings so I could afford the kit, i had alot of cash flow and i was also lucky enough to have an older sister that was self employed and she passed on my details to her large number of clients. But when i decided to move house my cash flow bottomed out and i really started to struggle afordjng to go to jobs so one after the other i was p'ing off my clients and i lost alot of good customers. Round that time wasn't my worst time, as i often had the energy to pull out of it. Mu bad times have been over the last couple of years whereby most of the time i have not earned a personal income, and its been a vicious cycle- start the month off doing the smaller 'money spinner' jobs to free up cash flow then round about mid month i can afford to move onto some bigger jobs, but these often take longer to pay, so its not by getting on for the end of the month that I've got some decent money in the bank, but uh oh, out of time gotta pay the bills- that cleans me out and i start the next month in the same position, damn it.

this happening over and over again has lead to debilitating stress levels, I've had all the physical symptoms and has generally made me feel angry alot of the time with people who get in my way, ques in the post office machinery etc. I even had a big fall out with my father mid last year, and i feel bad about that. I've never been to the doctors about this but i know i should have done really.

I just feel i have wasted the last few years, and i have put my other half through so much its a wonder she has stayed with me.

We are looking to start up a family this year so i have taken up a post this year that will leave me a bit of time to do private work so it will mean i don't lose my industrial unit, truck and equipment, because if i did i would never forgive myself. If i had a son or daughter who wanted to be self employed id be sure to educate them the best i could about the pit falls that leads to stress and depression, and avoid them!

Edited by the hedge man

Tough times mate, i would highly recommend going and seeing a professional reguarding business advice, it can really help to focus on working and not on obstacles!

Also we all have patterns, we can do the same thing over and over again and not realise it , and guess what, same result everytime!!

Good luck :)

Hedgeman, I'd be looking at what you did to lose the clients you had. Was it the quality of your work, rushing to get to the next job, and the standards slipped? Did you become unreliable? Did you become perhaps a little rude or short with them? Can you not win them back if it was just down to price? Can you not talk to at lest the best ones, build a rapport and get back in the saddle? In this last year I've had some tough times, but I've found communication is the strongest tool in the box for an easier life. Simply put, make a call, and make an explanation for your difficulties. It's not a cry for pity, but more of an appeal to their human nature. Do what it takes to get yourself in control of your life and your business.

...communication is the strongest tool in the box for an easier life...

..and quite likely a successful business. People don't mind waiting for you if you let them know. If you say you'll call them in the next week do so. If you're going to be late for an appointment let them know. Simple things that all come under the umbrella of communication and if you do it well it pays dividends.

Good luck Luke!

thanks for the good advice guys. like you say, it's communication that is key. Andy, my quality of work has never slipped IMO as i'm such a perfectionist, I jus dont let it happen even on a bad day. Its the not letting people know that i'm having trouble getting to them, and that is a very important part of the service. as for can I get some of the custrpmers back, I am working on that now, and ive had such responses as 'I thought you went off the rails!' and 'I thought you disapeared off the face of the earth!' but at least they are happy to have me work for them again again as they know I do a tidy job.