Whats the best excuse youve been given for taking a sicky

arniecardigan

I used to work in London with a guy who commuted in from Great Yarmouth. He had put his notice in and, a couple of days before he was due to finish, he phoned in sick, saying he had something wrong with his eyes. When they asked what was wrong, he said 'I can't see myself coming in'. :laugh1:

When I was employed I had a basic hourly rate plus a bonus of 0.50p hr doing 60hrs week + it adds up.

If you were sick or missed a day, were late etc you lost your bonus.

Stopped all this phoning in sick etc if I were to employ I would use a similar method.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before work tightened up on phoning in sick times i once woke up at 11am after hitting snooze button so phoned in and said stomach bug, couldnt bring myself to tell boss how daft i was!

one of guys i work with used to get smashed after every payday and then not come in, failed to realise entire area (housing on estate we work on) used to hear him howling at moon at 4am - started getting docked a days holiday each time, soon wised up.

honestly cant remember last time i pulled a sickie, entirely too busy to loose a day or just to lazy to come up with excuse perhaps.

I'm sure its not all youngsters just the ones I keep getting!! I have a 15year old lad thats at school so just does weekends/holidays works like a trooper without complaint and is always looking to see what needs doing next!! hes strong as an ox and just keeps going...unfortunately school gets in the way and he wants to do sixth form!!

I'd take him on and pay him well as he's worth it... he did more in 4 hours yesterday than the 18 year old I've just got rid of did in 2 days!!!

Years ago some friends joined us for a weekend in Wales. Come Sunday night, "Primrose Landscapes" aka my mate, decided he didn't want to drive back to York and would have an extra day. Monday morn dawned (just) grey and very rainy. So feeling smug at having the perfect excuse, he rang his client to inform her that he wouldn't be able to make it due to the rain, at which point she informed him it was sunny in York and started to question him as to his whereabouts. Can't remember exactly what he said apart from a string of ridiculous excuses......and me laughing uncontrollably.

Please note......Primrose Landscapes no longer trades.........funny that!

i think this could be a good thread,in my late 40,s my self, and the youth of today dont seem to be what they where 20 yrs ago and they dont think the same eithere, one young lad who worked with us abt 20 years ago over heard me and another guy disscussing mesuring some timber up the cubic foot, 2 wk later the fresh faced 18yr old rings up at abt 10am cant come in this wk been to the doctors as my foot is all swollen and i have a cubic foot and have not to walk on it for a few days as to let the swelling go down. i still see the lad, and it has and will be a long standing joke for many years to come as i always ask him, hows your foot.

Few weeks ago 1 of my young shavers was due to come in for a job that had to be done on a saturday.

About 7 sat morning his mum called me to say that his x girlfriend had asked him to go to her house fri night,then she immediatly left him in charge of their 2 little tots while she went straight off for the weekend with her new boyfriend.

When he dragged himself into my yard monday morning he said she got back at 1 that morning.

I think on this occasion he was telling the truth.

Edited by oldwoodcutter