Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Just now, Retired Climber said:

Thanks, that's interesting. I agree, letting employees use a modified saw is asking for trouble. It's one thing a saw unintentionally being a bit more dangerous than stock, but to intentionally make modifications to make it more of a risk to use would be bloody difficult to defend in court. 

Equally, making a saw louder than standard has health and safety implications too. 

I am not going to defend any of this as I carry out the owners wishes and it isn't illegal to do so. You should hear those WCS "Bark Boxes", they make my muffler mods sound quiet.

Porting is for those that like/want it and it is a "Marmite" like thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I am not going to defend any of this as I carry out the owners wishes and it isn't illegal to do so. You should hear those WCS "Bark Boxes", they make my muffler mods sound quiet.

Porting is for those that like/want it and it is a "Marmite" like thing.

I'm not asking you to defend anything, I just asked a question to which I didn't know the answer. Having said that, the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that it's a bad idea ( to use a modified saw for work). 

I have re-read it and what I said is correct. The lower skirt on the inlet side dictates inlet timing and the top edge of the piston crown on the piston dictates the exhaust timing.....or am I missing something:confused1:

Edited by spudulike

23 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I'm not asking you to defend anything, I just asked a question to which I didn't know the answer. Having said that, the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that it's a bad idea ( to use a modified saw for work). 

Whilst I agree giving a modified saw to an employee could turn nasty.

What’s not to like about a ported saw?

Lighter saw, less fatigue and overuse injuries.  More power, less likely to barber chair or split out on you.  I think a lot of saws are underpowered for manufacturing and environmental reasons.  That is why I refused to use the first generations of 201t.  

They were borderline dangerous IMO.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Having said that, the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that it's a bad idea ( to use a modified saw for work). 

I think its a bad idea not to .  They are more efficient , cut faster and run cooler . Who wants to be trying to chase that back cut with a stock saw bogging and struggling ? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I think its a bad idea not to .  They are more efficient , cut faster and run cooler . Who wants to be trying to chase that back cut with a stock saw bogging and struggling ? 

I'm not saying they aren't a good idea from that point of view; I'm simply saying you are opening yourself up to (the possibility of) a world of agro if you use one for business purposes. 

Imagine an employee has a hearing test and is found to have some damage. We buy PPE based on the risks that we know about. Ear defenders are designed to take the sound from a stock saw (limited for safety reasons) and reduce it to a safer level. Try telling your insurance company that you deliberately had a mod done that made the saw louder than the set limits and see what they say. 

I'm just thinking about this from a business point of view, I'm not saying that ported saws aren't better than normal saws, or that Spud is doing anything wrong.