Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Alas, I’m not convinced about that either.

If I take (as a starting point) that I think that I can legally allow my employees to use a most excellent ‘spudded’ saw (devils advocate, you understand) could you show me where it says I can’t?

love and peace.

Well, you can do what ever yr brief says you can !  If yr manual says do not modify a tool ( any tool in point ) then yr stuck with that regarding what you give yr employees . If I decide I want to use Spuds ported saw , thats my own choice , and I am sure I will enjoy using his efforts . K

• Like 1

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

What do you reckon HP you could get from an 880/881?
And what will it cost me?
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I have ported a small number of 088/MS880s, the 088 was sort of bonkers as it picked up far faster after it had been done. I don't own a dyno so have no HP figs and having done so few, don't have any gains info on them. I can share the owners details if they are happy for me to give them to you.

Cost wise.....read my post from last night;) It will tell you what you get!

• Like 1

A manual......

0458-809-0121-B_ZBA_01_01.pdf?_gl=1*cynp

I don’t own a 500, or even use one, but they seem to have a bit of a following, so I chose it pseudo-randomly.

Anyway..... after a quick skim through, there is mention of:

> not modifying controls

> not fitting non-stihl accessories 

> making sure the little safety sticker is there.

Nothing about actually modifying the saw itself.

As I read the manual (very briefly), the most likely no-no’s involved with porting a saw would not be the porting per se, rather....

>accidentally cleaning off the little safety sticker with all the other burnt-on crud and crap, 
>putting in a champion spark plug (if OEM is NGK), and
>sticking on a Sugi bar and an Oregon chain.

I may well be wrong though.

Kind regards.

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

The few times I have been involved with the HSE, they have looked at maintenance, safety device testing, staff training and training documents.....different industry but the same process! 

THIS.

100%

In my dealings with HSE, this list is the starting point, and if all of is in order, it’s also pretty much the finishing point.

Edited by Bolt
Oh, and PPE. And the risk assessment (obviously). Errrrrr, and maybe method statements. Ahem.

7 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

I'm not saying they aren't a good idea from that point of view; I'm simply saying you are opening yourself up to (the possibility of) a world of agro if you use one for business purposes. 

Imagine an employee has a hearing test and is found to have some damage. We buy PPE based on the risks that we know about. Ear defenders are designed to take the sound from a stock saw (limited for safety reasons) and reduce it to a safer level. Try telling your insurance company that you deliberately had a mod done that made the saw louder than the set limits and see what they say. 

I'm just thinking about this from a business point of view, I'm not saying that ported saws aren't better than normal saws, or that Spud is doing anything wrong. 

Ok .

I am going to stamp each machine with "Competition Only" like they used to in the 80s on those LOUD exhausts you could buy for your bike! That should cover it!

Or..... “not for tree use” like you get “not for road use” on the exhaust!
Spent hours once rubbing out not for road use on the band of my akrapovic with a scotch pad and some autosol 🤠
  • Like 3