poor 4x4 performance

swinny

Agree with all the above. Tyres make all the difference, after all, it is these that are giving you grip! If you do get stuck with the trailer, it is sometimes worth unhitching and pulling it with a rope. If it is not twin/triple axle watch that you do not bend the jockey wheel.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A trailer will always make life difficult off road. Up near Aviemore last month I had an empty trailer to come home with and thought I'd load it up with some Noble fir discs/chunks I'd cut up last year. 6 cube to be precise. Anyway, lots of rain the previous day and tracks that were usually no issue with the Navara were very tricky and it was borderline that I actually got out.

The next thing is tyres. Road tyres are for road use. They are hopeless off road. I'd sooner have 2wd and good all terrains than 4wd and road tyres.

Finally, from what I've been told, the driver is the most important factor in off road driving. Driving off road is a skill and requires learning. I've had a bit of informal instruction and sometimes the right thing to do is counter intuitive, like accelerating down a steep slope so that your wheels regain traction to regain control of a slide. Either way, if you do know anyone with extensive off road experience, spend a morning with them. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Jonathan

I went to the local ploughing match back in October.

It had rained non-stop all day Friday.

Parking was in a sloping stubble field.

I went on Sat, the mud was unbelievable, 4*4's spinning uselessly various places.

I did a quick recce as I waited in the short queue, left a good space in front, picked my line, kept moving and got reversed back uphill.

Ditto on the way out, waited for a break in the traffic.

Moved off down hill, built up sufficient speed and headed for the gate, with sufficient momentum to carry me through the 10's of metres of uphill mud at the gate.

I got out, just.

In a 1.6TDI Octavia, on ordinary, but reasonably new tyres.

Many others were being towed out by tractors......and this was downhill.

marcus

Make of car, tyres, driver, all make a difference but tyres by far are the most important when towing, the alpine tractor hat I have weighs similar to the landy, it has 1/3 of the power, but it will out pull the landy or any 4x4 off road simply because its on ag tyres.

with the rain we have had even 4x4 will struggle on a grass field as it is slick. my navara was struggling to get into field on its own. with 1.5 on back no suprise it gave up and with road tyres need proper 70/30 tyres GR AT2 BF then it may do it in 4x4 may need low but its just keeping it going without to much wellie. once it starts to slip more you try and power it it will just dig in.

Make of car, tyres, driver, all make a difference but tyres by far are the most important when towing, the alpine tractor hat I have weighs similar to the landy, it has 1/3 of the power, but it will out pull the landy or any 4x4 off road simply because its on ag tyres.

HI TOM so will my mate old T20 FERGUSON mate thanks jon

Worst vehicle we have for pulling trailers is our td5 commercial discovery. They stopped putting centre diff locks after the 300 tdi. For pulling trailers through mud you need a bit of momentum. as soon as a wheel slips the brakes go on and your left for dead. Four wheel drives are not invincible thats why they have tractors with tracks.