Cheap housing

Graham

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful. We do have a misguided culture in this country regarding housing. Sadly, planners would rather see millions of rabbit hutch style Barratt homes than something as crafted as this.

Couldn't agree more.

The only choice most people have is either rent forever (massive waste of money) or get stuck with a lifelong mortgage on a shite 2 bed new build with a postage stamp garden (again, massive waste of money). This is one of the worst things about over population.

The home in the original post is beautiful, sustainable, will last a long, long time and is a fraction of the cost of a new build estate house. Realistically a cob house will cost around £10k -£15k, which is still great, but the planning laws in this country are just awful so it's not as simple as buying a bit of nice land/woodland for £20k then building a £10k home. It's as if the government want us all to get in debt to the tune of £150k and make the banks and corporations loads of money :001_rolleyes:

It certainly is a thing of beauty.

Not sure his build for next to nothing idea works though "and did not need planning permission as it was classed as a summer house" surely it isn't for full residential use then ?

A residential building plot is a very large part of the cost of building a house.

I agree with that, the government want us in debt as its a form of control as we need to work and earn to pay it off so they in turn get a % in tax then we pay our mortgage which in turn they get a % in tax but if we wer to build sustainably like this they would loos out on billions of income to award to each outher in high salaries and bonuses for looking after us, well that's my opinion even as someone owned by a home/ mortgage

A very tidy undertaking.

Declare it as a Summer house.

But then rent it out for the necessary years, to qualify as a dwelling.

Then rip it down and replace it with a real dwelling.

Planning permission being gained "by the back door"

A "cunning plan" if ever I saw one.

Regards,

Marcus

PS

Alex M

There other options re housing, other than renting or buying crap/living with a mortgage.

Like live thrifty, save from very average earnings, start small/humble with minimal borrowing, and work ones way up, sans, new cars, fancy holidays and crap new furniture. And avoid mortgages like the plague.

Then at 35 or 40 one can start to enjoy the "good life"

Edited by difflock

i understand he has been told to knock it down?

if your happy for this to be built you must also allow slums to be built in your neighborhood, no difference

i have had run ins with planning but still think it is there for the right reasons

if you want to own a property you have to work for it

PS

Alex M

There other options re housing, other than renting or buying crap/living with a mortgage.

Like live thrifty, save from very average earnings, start small/humble with minimal borrowing, and work ones way up, sans, new cars, fancy holidays and crap new furniture. And avoid mortgages like the plague.

Then at 35 or 40 one can start to enjoy the "good life"

I completely agree, I did say it's the case for most people being in the trap, not all.

I can't afford a mortgage, nor do i want one. Renting is almost as expensive unless you settle for a crap bedsit. A subject i mentioned in this thread about my live in vehicle - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/lounge/62310-recent-project-our-home.html

if your happy for this to be built you must also allow slums to be built in your neighborhood, no difference

Oh come off it, that's complete BS

if you want to own a property you have to work for it

What constitutes 'working for it' in your eyes?