Cheap housing

Graham

Hey, lets run this crap economy on the back of a housing bubble! Worked once (for some) so lets chance our arm and try the same con trick again. Frankly, I find the smugness of those who are able to afford property to be quite appalling. All of my 3 children work extremely hard yet none of them have a rat's chance in Cambridge and with no social housing

MIRAS fed the housing bubble and interest rates went high. Couple that with the right to buy and the leasehold reform act and the banking sector grew at the expense of the traditional mortgage lenders. Housing stock was limited because only so much new build could be done so prices went up as the supply of social housing went to the private sector. Now 30 years on much of that social housing has gone to private landlords feeding high rents.

I bought my house on the open market when it cost a bit more than 3 times my income. I earn a bit less now in real terms but the house now costs 10 times my annual income.

I have a friend who has refused to buy his council house on principle, he retires next year and the rent will cripple him, since the 80s he has paid far more than I paid off my mortgage in rent to the council.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite simple,isn't it? "We" sold off the housing stock then spent the money fighting the "Argys". "We" then said we would build more social housing. Did "we".? Did "we"feck.

Thanks very much Mrs Thatcher and Nigel Lawson!

At the end of the day "we" are a small island that we can't build any more houses on! This pushes the price of land through the ceiling!

An old boy once said to me, if you've got any spare cash buy land, we don't make it anymore!

Edited by eggsarascal

grand designs had a chap who built a cracking house from hestion straw bales. rendered outside watle and daub on the inside straw bales are cheap compared to bricks and morter. used a chainsaw to cut out windows and doors.

Aye that save the planet couple who moved out to France lol

I find it a bit worrying that the majority opinion here seems to be that being 'average' should entitle you to a nice, large house and I presume to other trappings of success. I've recently purchased a very nice house in my opinion and a few of my friends of a similar age have done the same, all you need is a good set of books or payslips and a deposit and your away . Furthermore IMO without an imbalance in wealth, an elite and the poor capitalism wouldn't work and there would be no incentive to strive for more and work harder than the next man or be more academic etc etc.

WM Tree Services

http://www.bestkenttreesurgeons.co.uk

I find it a bit worrying that the majority opinion here seems to be that being 'average' should entitle you to a nice, large house and I presume to other trappings of success. I've recently purchased a very nice house in my opinion and a few of my friends of a similar age have done the same, all you need is a good set of books or payslips and a deposit and your away . Furthermore IMO without an imbalance in wealth, an elite and the poor capitalism wouldn't work and there would be no incentive to strive for more and work harder than the next man or be more academic etc etc.

WM Tree Services

Best Kent Tree Surgeons for Professional Tree Surgery Work in Maidstone

Biting my tongue.

WM Tree Services

Best Kent Tree Surgeons for Professional Tree Surgery Work in Maidstone

Fully agree. However, perhaps you're missing the point slightly. 'Average' should at least be able to do as 'Average' did a generation ago, and purchase a starter house- that has been referenced several time in the thread.

As it stands, the average of this generation are being held to ransom.

Put it this way- many 'average' of the previous generation (bus drivers, checkout workers etc) own property. Can you imagine a bus driver or checkout worker these days being able to pay the rent without tax credits, let alone get a mortgage??

Biting my tongue.

Alex! Dare I ask how you think we started on the housing market?

I bought a terraced house in Stoke many years ago that I rented out, I was still living at home at the time. The interest rate was crippling, I had to pay over and above what rent I was getting on the house.

Do ya still think you are hard done by?