Real world heating cost

Dean Lofthouse

What do you reckon the costs would be to heat your home via logs ?

Once my burner is lit, it burns 24 hours a day. Over night it burns on tick over and also when no-one is in the house we have it on tick over.

I,ve been keeping tabs on how much we use and I reckon if we had to buy our logs, it would be cheaper to run on gas

I estimated £10 per day in logs to heat our home

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What do you reckon the costs would be to heat your home via logs ?"

About £800 on our selling price of £95 per cube.

I am running our ground source heat pump at the moment so I have more logs to sell as it works out cheaper.

Logs are not a cheap way to heat a home unless you get them well below going rate or for free compared with mains gas.

We do 24/7 in winter. Logs we can do about 10-15 quid a day, on my prices, depending on how hard we burn it. The difference is we burn alot of coal. Running on coal i reckon costs 15-18 a week at the depths of winter. We were spending the equivelent on gas but for only 3-4 hours a day and the house was freezing. Wood would be expensive coal not as much.

I am currently using about 2 barrow bags a week, that will go up when it gets really cold, so whatever the cost of that would be, I would think it's about £8-10 when it's going full pelt a day if I had to buy them in, if it wasn't free I would definately be using gas as the issue I have is no back boiler so we rely on the fan to blow the heat around the house, which it does very well but the bathroom at the far end of the house can be a bit cold sometimes, so I have a bath after everyone else and by then it has warmed the room up a bit :)

Although I have to go and collect the cord and put petrol in the saws, it's a considerable saving that I am very gratefull of.

I don't think anyone would be leaving their gathering on 24/7 and would deffo switch off when nobody's in.

I put my gas boiler on as little as possible and switch off when I go out and overnight.

I have 2 open fires that eat wood but at least 1 is lit whenever I'm in the house in the winter and 2 when it's really cold. I go through about a wheelbarrow (piled right up) every two days when it's cold, more if I'm in a lot. 10 wheelbarrows are about 1m3 so approx £100 worth of logs.

I wouldn't want to have to buy them now but conversely if I had loads of money I wouldn't be doing logs and I could probably afford to buy them!

I'm £55 a cubic metre on sawmill offcuts, and I think that we will get through the full 21 cubic metres I threw into the store in August before next summer, so £1155 for a years heating/£3.85 a day for the 10 months a year the burner is likely to be on at some point.

I should stress though that even when the temperature drops below freezing (this is our first winter in this house, so some reservation is applied) the house is roasting from the one stove. We are still on the summer duvet, for instance.

It's interesting to read, that most of the few posting so far, would not heat by logs if they had to buy. Does this then indicate, that most people who but logs, are either paying through the nose for their primary heat source? Or that the wood burner is just a quaint accessory, that they feel gives a degree of rustic charm and incidentally, also heats a room when one has visitors?