Recommend a tractor.

Woodworks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't blame it on the engine if oil changes were neglected.

The International 454 German-built diesel engine (as fitted to most of the UK-sold models) can only be bored out once, by a few thou. Therefore clean oil is a must for this engine also.

In fact it's a must for any engine. I never understand people who think it's OK, or a cost saving, to leave what looks like crude oil in an engine. Or even to let it get like that in the first place. :thumbdown:

I totally agree; didn't phrase my post very well did I ! :blushing:

The international engine in the forwarder gets worked very hard (and is very well maintained btw - it's so easy to infact :001_smile:) and frankly I love its dogged guts and attitude; nice under square configuration of course. It sounds very sweet coming up a good climb and fully laden. The JD engine just doesn't make me smile the same way :001_rolleyes::laugh1:

the industrial version used by utilities and MOD was offered one a few years back with cab but no back unit trouble wa it was only 2wheel drive if my mind is right

there is a guy in shafstbury dorset who has always loads of tractors may be worth a punt advertises in farming machinery

Wow thanks chaps. Lots of suggestions.

Yes mainly yard work so a second tractor for that might well be an option. Wish I had not sold the old 885 but did not know a log businesses was around the corner :001_rolleyes:

The loader does manage OK for power if there is a good sized lump on the back but recently developed an oil leak around front wheel which I was blaming on over loading it but if it can manage 1200kg maybe unrelated.

On the back it can just lift my new Krpan splitter (about 480kg) but can't control lowering as it lurches and stops virtually lifting the front wheels and shock loading all the rear linkages.

There should be a control valve to control this, usually a screw knob near the seat. Lift up splitter wind it all the way in then slowly un-do until the splitter starts to drop, that should control the decent speed; so effectively you can just dump the position lever and the splitter will drop slowly :thumbup1:

the industrial version used by utilities and MOD was offered one a few years back with cab but no back unit trouble wa it was only 2wheel drive if my mind is right

there is a guy in shafstbury dorset who has always loads of tractors may be worth a punt advertises in farming machinery

HI CHRIS thats COLES mate he a good chap to deal with i had a loader off him thanks jon :thumbup:

I worked for an IH dealership when the 475, 574 674 came out and we were told it was an issue with the new wet disc brakes that required the special oil.

At the same time Fords required an anti squeal additive for their back axles too.

i had new brakes in my 475 after the old ones broke up inside had trouble afterwards with slow hydraulics, no tipping, bad steering found out there was a small gauze filter in the bottom of the axle blocked causing the troubles, drained the oil twice cleaned the filter and happy happy:thumbup: