Duration of wood burning stoves.

mark_goldfinch

The longest period I had mine lit without needing to relight it was just over 3 months. Then one night when my wife was up doing a night feed with our first baby she put in a log which was just slightly too long she closed the door and broke the glass. The stove which she had just filled to the top with beech logs roared flat out for the next couple of hours with no glass in one of the doors and the fire was out by morning. Got the glass on the way home from work next day and she was lit again until april.

It takes the equivalent of 2 fertilizer bags to burn the fire from 5 in the evening to around midnight or 3 bags does 24 hours.Its a Hunter Herald 80B

Image0034.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in damp mid wales kindling was in short supply in the old days,so they never let the fires go out ,some burnt constantly for 50 or 60 years.They would even take the fire with them if they moved house.

Because of the difficulty in relighting it was a punishment to put someone's fire out.

Again in order to keep some embers for the morning the night watchman would call out to couvre feu (curfew) to remind people to gather embers up and cover with an upturned pot.

I'm also of the burn fast and hot persuasion as leaving a smouldering log is inefficient and polluting.

I just got one of these for the workshop. £247 delivered including VAT if you ring him.

sawdust/wood shavings/wood burning workshop stoves | eBay

Overnights on sawdust well- not hot hot, but almost too hot to touch when you come in the morning. Seems to burn best with a large lump of wood in there also. I run it on sawdust and old sawn timber that I can't sell as logs. I caught my lad trying to put some ash from the store on it the other day, he won't do that again :lol:

I top it up, open the vent and squirt the airline down it to fire her up again in the morning! :thumbup:

Short as possible :thumbup: 1 - 2 hours a day when convenient

Burn hard and fast - makes max use of energy in the wood, keeps flue clear, limits shite going into the air, no faffing with a fire all day & minimises how much wood you need.

Store the energy in a thermal store.

Why make life difficult and inefficient........

grabs coat and leaves:lol::thumbup:

same here:001_tt2::thumbup1:

No need its got a ash pan in the bottom. Really is a great little stove. Found it in a customers garden all rusty. Gave it a good clean up and it's beautiful now. [ATTACH]137817[/ATTACH]

Thats a Morso Squirrel, 40 year life if looked after. In its was world leading, parts are easily available if needed.

A