What wood do you want?

JLA Arborists

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've steadily been saving timber and cutting blanks over the past 6 months.

I've now got a really nice garage full of laburnum, judas, acacia, spalted beech/sycamore/cherry/birch, some beautiful figured cherry, eucalyptus (which smells incredible when turning it!), and yew.

Must have at least 40 decent sized laburnum bowl blanks cut and a load more spindle blanks. With a stack more of it at the yard drying. I love the colour of laburnum, its easily my favourite wood to turn with too.

Just makes me sad to think of what I've put through the chipper over the years or logged. But no longer!!

advanced arborcare Ltd - Tree Surgeons Poole Home

Do you Sell your Blanks

I've had a wood turner / carver helping himself from my yard for the last 18 months.

When asked what I wanted I've always said to just make me the odd piece whenever he feels he's had enough wood to warrant it. Never had a thing :lol: even though he's in the yard for two or three bits every week.

Saw him at a show the other week and he's had a lovely bowl on display.

I pointed out that I quite fancied the bowl. His reply was that he'd knock me 25% off !!!!!!!

I paid the full price but told him from now on he'd be paying full price for any timber he wanted.

Idiot!!!!!

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

That over steps the mark i all way give something to people that give me timber

I've steadily been saving timber and cutting blanks over the past 6 months.

I've now got a really nice garage full of laburnum, judas, acacia, spalted beech/sycamore/cherry/birch, some beautiful figured cherry, eucalyptus (which smells incredible when turning it!), and yew.

Must have at least 40 decent sized laburnum bowl blanks cut and a load more spindle blanks. With a stack more of it at the yard drying. I love the colour of laburnum, its easily my favourite wood to turn with too.

Just makes me sad to think of what I've put through the chipper over the years or logged. But no longer!!

advanced arborcare Ltd - Tree Surgeons Poole Home

Putting the rest of us to shame there; good effort.

If you ever get any catalpa keep it; it's little known for turning in this country but it's popular in the States as it's iridiscent when polished.

Edited by nepia

Got given a large lump of yew that had been sat in the back of a tree surgeons shed for a few years. First bowl I made from it went straight round to him, saw him again the other day and got presented with a good sized piece of walnut. What goes around comes around.