What wood do you want?

JLA Arborists

Just had a delivery of some cedar Firewood and Ive hand carved some of it. Planning on turning another piece. smell is awesome and I think once I apply a finish I'm hoping the colour will pop even more. Was really nice to carve and the wood didn't tear once. I think I might save it all from the fire! So. .... long story short recommend holding cedar back if you get any

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it guys keep the chatting going. I deal every day with turners and they are always after a bargain or trying to get a deal ( don't blame ) I try and keep my prices as low as possible but it does involve a lot of work . Milling the wood drying , marking and cutting the blanks and then waxing them all . Lots of work goes into it but I'm pleased to say our customers are always happy :) they do like the spalted woods and yew and any thing interesting .

Agreed but he ain't the only one y'know!

As for what to do with the timber... I split down the middle usually to release tension and stop cracking. Sealing the ends is good and I get it in the shade, just off the ground, usually covered. In short try to slow the drying process to a trickle without putting the wood in stagnant air (> mould).

Some good advice here. thanks.

What is best to use for sealing the ends?

I've steadily been saving timber and cutting blanks over the past 6 months.

I've now got a really nice garage full of laburnum, judas, acacia, spalted beech/sycamore/cherry/birch, some beautiful figured cherry, eucalyptus (which smells incredible when turning it!), and yew.

Must have at least 40 decent sized laburnum bowl blanks cut and a load more spindle blanks. With a stack more of it at the yard drying. I love the colour of laburnum, its easily my favourite wood to turn with too.

Just makes me sad to think of what I've put through the chipper over the years or logged. But no longer!!

http://www.aatreesurgeon.co.uk

I've had a wood turner / carver helping himself from my yard for the last 18 months.

When asked what I wanted I've always said to just make me the odd piece whenever he feels he's had enough wood to warrant it. Never had a thing :lol: even though he's in the yard for two or three bits every week.

Saw him at a show the other week and he's had a lovely bowl on display.

I pointed out that I quite fancied the bowl. His reply was that he'd knock me 25% off !!!!!!!

I paid the full price but told him from now on he'd be paying full price for any timber he wanted.

Idiot!!!!!

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App