Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

Basically I think young lads require constant beasting and abuse, I had it and it didn't do me any harm and I'm sure a lot of other people did in this industry too... Taking some one aside and "saying excuse me would one like to hurry up" does not really work yelling at them and making them look and feel stupid so they sort them selfs out to prove a point to you and become better than the person doing the yelling seems too, if they curl in to a ball and sit in the lorry rocking refusing to come out then you have saved a great deal of time working out if they are cut out for tree work or not .. If they still have not sorted them selfs out after a few weeks its good bye if they have not left already!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness Will, there are a lot of people our age that are lazy. We shouldn't get tarred with the same brush though.

There are lots of lazy older people too, but I guess that the ones that try out for a job as a groundsman tend to be younger.

I don't mind people being slow at first, as long as they are keen and trying. Nor do I mind the odd late finish, but it's really disheartening when it could be avoided by everyone pulling their weight.

I'm 24 (and three quarters!) and it sounds like I've got my most productive years in this industry still to come!

Would work for some but not all, it would just dent some peoples confidence (young or old). Positive attitude, make them feel involved, encouraging help & actually teaching them is a great way to get the most out of somebody. A newbie on an arb site can feel really out of place, don't ignore that and leave them, make them feel part of the team and share your knowledge.

In fairness Will, there are a lot of people our age that are lazy. We shouldn't get tarred with the same brush though.

There are lots of lazy older people too, but I guess that the ones that try out for a job as a groundsman tend to be younger.

I don't mind people being slow at first, as long as they are keen and trying. Nor do I mind the odd late finish, but it's really disheartening when it could be avoided by everyone pulling their weight.

I'm 24 (and three quarters!) and it sounds like I've got my most productive years in this industry still to come!

Yep I know bro, as there are lazy people of all ages. It just touches a nerve with me when people generalise the young, it took me years in crap roles, 2 years in college and the outgoingness to travel to the other side of the world to have the opportunity to actually become a full time climber. I'm also 24 and I dunno, I just find tarring such a broad range of people as a really dim, pessimistic, narrow minded way of thinking. :thumbup1:

Its the same here....find it really hard to find youngsters who don't expect to be earning top money from day one and for doing sweet F all!!

I've started thinking they must all be gay the amount of time the spend staring at me while I'm working my C@#k off!!

Had to tell one lad to go last week.....I was 2hours into the job sweating up the tree, my groundie was sweating logging up and cutting the brash out and he came back from the chipper putting his coat on saying he was abit chilly.....abit chilly if I wasn't up the tree I'd of throttled the bleeping little S@#T!!!

That sounds wrong on so many levels!!!!

If someone is 'working' for you and you are not happy with their efforts -

Tell them what is expected, and what will happen if they don't pull their weight.

If they don't meet your expectations, after you have warned them, the ball is in your court. Get rid of them and get a replacement - or put up with it.

If you have reasonable expectations then finding a replacement will be a doddle.

If you struggle to find someone to work 'your way' then maybe, just maybe, your expectations are a bit off.

I get the impression that your reluctance to accept that anything less than running is a sign of laziness is a catalyst for most of the venom in this thread. In the same way that you have perceptions based on walking/running speed maybe others are picking up perceptions on your choice of words.

I suspect if this thread has been a bunch of guys sat round a bonfire it would have been a lot more amicable (either that or you would have kicked the cr@p out of all of us).

Basically I think young lads require constant beasting and abuse, I had it and it didn't do me any harm and I'm sure a lot of other people did in this industry too... Taking some one aside and "saying excuse me would one like to hurry up" does not really work yelling at them and making them look and feel stupid so they sort them selfs out to prove a point to you and become better than the person doing the yelling seems too, if they curl in to a ball and sit in the lorry rocking refusing to come out then you have saved a great deal of time working out if they are cut out for tree work or not .. If they still have not sorted them selfs out after a few weeks its good bye if they have not left already!

lol yep,at least you have the option of abuse however im sure you enjoy the beatings.:001_tt2: