DN22 Gardening

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Nick and

wrong Peter

NOT all except CDV's

IS absolutly dependant on plated weights (as far as I clearly recall)

So a Fiesta Van prob OK

A`heavier/larger payload van, whether car derived or not, is treated as a VAN.

Even though the same car type with 5 rugby players on board could well be heavier, but still legal.

As far as I clearly recally but is all from memory.

Hi all,

Been driving for about 25+ years now and thought i was fairly good.

For 25 of the above i've had my HGV ticket too.

Traveling North bound on the A1 last Sunday in the chip truck got flashed by a stationary camera.

Not a problem i thought, under 70 so ok. (actually doing 68)

WRONG !!!!

Apparently, the speed limit for a sub 7.5 ton vehicle on a dual carriage way is 60 !!!

Either its changed recently or i've been speeding daily for the last 20 odd years

Luckily the camera was behind so i'll be trying to blag off on the points :thumbdown:

HI MATE i do not speeding tickets my 110 is just too slow :lol::lol::lol:thanks jon

HI MATE i do not speeding tickets my 110 is just too slow :lol::lol::lol:thanks jon

lol

had a choice when i hit 40 Jon.

Get a peugeot 205Gti (had one when i was a kid) and points galore.:blushing:

ended up with an N/A 110 :lol: and clean license

50 FLAT out !!!!!!

was ok till i put a Disco TDI in it. Flying machine then.

the landy had to go to buy the second transit :thumbdown: sad day.

We've got a nissan pathfinder now, all i get off the kids is

"when are we selling this and getting another land rover"

Yes Nick and

wrong Peter

NOT all except CDV's

IS absolutly dependant on plated weights (as far as I clearly recall)

So a Fiesta Van prob OK

A`heavier/larger payload van, whether car derived or not, is treated as a VAN.

Even though the same car type with 5 rugby players on board could well be heavier, but still legal.

As far as I clearly recally but is all from memory.

CDVs up to 2 tonnes max laden weight, so a even a van plated at less than 2 tonnes, if not car derived is in the goods vehicle category. Cant think of any CDVs plated at more than 2 tonnes, but there may be?

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

edit: You are wrong, a CDV is under 2 tonnes by definition of the Road Traffic Act 1984, so all vans except CDV, as I originally said.

Edited by Peter

There is one significant exception to the light goods vehicle reduced speed limits (which have existed for years, btw) and that is a vehicle which is a "Dual Purpose Vehicle" as defined in the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended).

Speed limits are set by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (as amended) and this makes it clear that a vehicle which falls within the C&U regs DPV definition is subject to car limits.

The definition of a DPV is a bit complex, but any vehicle with an unladen (note not kerb) weight not exceeding 2040kg and full or part time all wheel drive is definitely a DPV. Your Ranger is probably in this category in which case you should contest the ticket.

This subject has been discussed on this forum before.

There is one significant exception to the light goods vehicle reduced speed limits (which have existed for years, btw) and that is a vehicle which is a "Dual Purpose Vehicle" as defined in the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended).

Speed limits are set by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (as amended) and this makes it clear that a vehicle which falls within the C&U regs DPV definition is subject to car limits.

The definition of a DPV is a bit complex, but any vehicle with an unladen (note not kerb) weight not exceeding 2040kg and full or part time all wheel drive is definitely a DPV. Your Ranger is probably in this category in which case you should contest the ticket.

This subject has been discussed on this forum before.

Very handy

Many thanks for that.

Just done a speed awareness course and we were told and given the booklet

The law is, according to Kent police.

Car derived vans up to 2 tonnes= 60 on single carriageways + 50 if towing

Goods vehicles- (check your tax disc to know- PLG)-if less than 7.5tonnes= 50 on single and 60 on dual (central reservation)- this will be most of us.

Goods vehicles exceeding 7.5t=40 on single and 50 on dual 60 on motorways

So there you go- we all break the law daily.

I keep getting pulled in my driver + 8 passengers renault trafic. It's registered as an mpv but 4 times I've been pulled for doing over 50 on single carriageway. Thankfully I was always below 63 and the officers then debated if I truly was commercial. Every time different set of reasons but always let off.

When even the police don't know my limits it's difficult! I drive car speed limits generally.

Dave