delivery trailers????

RDB logs

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your over 3.5 tonnes with a caddy and trailer, vosa are the least of your worries!

:lol::lol::lol:

I think you need to get something a bit more upto towing bud because putting a ton and a half behind a caddy isn't going to be fun!!

Maybe look into a transit or similar either a tipper or dropside/flat depending on if your selling loose or in bags.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q25eLktyNw4]Vosa blown up - YouTube[/ame]I have to say my 10ft by 5ft tipping ifor williams tariler has been brillaint. I can take up to 2.5 T but can only tow 2T with trailer weight. I use it for 4m3 loads.

Regarding tacho, we discussed this a month ago, I checked with a friend who checked with a speed cop who said they would not stop me.

My business is what I would class as 'farm diversification' and if some vosa chappy did say that my business is industrial and not forestry: One, I would dig out the farm number, Two, I would remind them that wood has been used from own forestry (which some of it is) and 3 well if else has failed see the link.

I have to say my 10ft by 5ft tipping ifor williams tariler has been brillaint. I can take up to 2.5 T but can only tow 2T with trailer weight. I use it for 4m3 loads.

Regarding tacho, we discussed this a month ago, I checked with a friend who checked with a speed cop who said they would not stop me.

My business is what I would class as 'farm diversification' and if some vosa chappy did say that my business is industrial and not forestry: One, I would dig out the farm number, Two, I would remind them that wood has been used from own forestry (which some of it is) and 3 well if else has failed see the link.

Your the second person that i've heard say this too. I also asked a traffic cop and he said the same. I spoke to vosa at kirkham and they said quite frankly they can't enforce it. He said if it went to court you would walk. Something to do with train weight when empty partially loaded being under and fully loaded being over so there would be no continuity.

Tacho's in transits etc is just silliness.

I find trailer rules harsh! i can't pull my twin axle plant trailer behind my transit van legally at the age of thirty to deliver logs because i dont hold a B+E trailer licence?!, but i can go out carting straw with a artic trailer on a 50k tractor with up to a gross weight of 24 ton.I know there's a difference between ag and other road going vehicles but some how this seems a bit daft to me!

I suppose at some point i'll have to bite the bullet and get my trailer test done!:thumbup:

Thats not hire or reward. You would not need hire or reward insurance just bog standard business use.

Hire or reward would be if I moved your logs for you & charged you a fee for doing so. Moving my own goods is not hire or reward.

Also wont the minimal mileage exemption apply unless you are delivering logs miles away (I think its 30miles).

VOSA and the Police view Hire and reward as delivering goods or equipment for which you will be paid ( rewarded) for. Moving your own goods and selling them is hire and reward, regrettably.

The 30 miles only comes in if you are moving tools and equipment to a job and the driver will be employed on site to operate that machinery on site. Movement of logs for which you will sell and be paid for is Hire & Reward, taking them home from site for you own use might be arguable but if you have a firewood business then I would suggest you are on dodgy ground.

If however you have something from Vosa that contradicts this please advise as its costs money to have a tacho installed and checked every 2 years.

A

I find trailer rules harsh! i can't pull my twin axle plant trailer behind my transit van legally at the age of thirty to deliver logs because i dont hold a B+E trailer licence?!, but i can go out carting straw with a artic trailer on a 50k tractor with up to a gross weight of 24 ton.I know there's a difference between ag and other road going vehicles but some how this seems a bit daft to me!

I suppose at some point i'll have to bite the bullet and get my trailer test done!:thumbup:

I suspect that Vosa are currently looking at ag tractors at 24 tonnes with a view to needing some sort of test/licence. Bit like HGV was, so up to 7.5 ton you used to be able to drive on a standard car licence, above that its a separate test.

A