New Stihl Policy

Here's a prediction, in 10 years stihl will have a reputation as a domestic / semi pro manufacturer, others will have taken their place as the professionals choice. And at the end of the day who can blame them!

I'll bet the semi pro market is worth way more than the fixit yourself pro market.

Like I say, in 10 years we'll all be using dolmars or huskys and stihl will be oing a roaring trade selling garden blowers, hedge trimmers and light saws to landscapers and the more adventurous gardener.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a prediction, in 10 years stihl will have a reputation as a domestic / semi pro manufacturer, others will have taken their place as the professionals choice. And at the end of the day who can blame them!

I'll bet the semi pro market is worth way more than the fixit yourself pro market.

Like I say, in 10 years we'll all be using dolmars or huskys and stihl will be oing a roaring trade selling garden blowers, hedge trimmers and light saws to landscapers and the more adventurous gardener.

So like poulan, mcculough, homelite and all the other once great manufacturers?! It's a shame that a business will so willingly stuff itself up because it won't move with the times, I bet Andreas would be very disappointed to see the decline of the company he built

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Eddys right they end up on the pan... The only reason people buy stihl is because they see pros using them ... Quite frankly though build quality and performance is awful compared to machines I was buying from stihl 6 years ago this for me is the nail in the coffin ... Only stihl saws I'm running are 150's 200ts blowers and hedge cutters and when they go that's it, and judging on the performance longevity of some of the new kit I'm replacing it every 2-3 years as u was with my old stihl kir instead of 3-7 so I'm out ...

Eddys right they end up on the pan... The only reason people buy stihl is because they see pros using them ... Quite frankly though build quality and performance is awful compared to machines I was buying from stihl 6 years ago this for me is the nail in the coffin ... Only stihl saws I'm running are 150's 200ts blowers and hedge cutters and when they go that's it, and judging on the performance longevity of some of the new kit I'm replacing it every 2-3 years as u was with my old stihl kir instead of 3-7 so I'm out ...

6 years ago? They were making the good ones until 2009/2010, it's a shame that whilst the engines have been made in a way to give more power, the build quality is piss poor, and the mufflers are choked to hell, I think stihl did a roaring trade on the old saws with dual ports didn't they? These new mufflers and carb limiters have put pain to that! And if they continue down this route they can kiss goodbye to the timber sport franchise!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Have to agree with the comments on service life. The new model Stihl hedgecutters have had more gear box repairs and parts put on them than our all our old model ones put together. Our old model ones are definitely going to out live our first batch of new model ones.

Stihl dealer wanted $700 to fix a 046.

So was brought to me after dealer had it 2 weeks and another 1 month. I figured out what killed it 1 hour into look see.

I bought $100 in new parts and half of those wasnt needed like DP muffler etc and will have maybe $80 to $100 labor when done. Saved the guy at least $500 or more in the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I think Stihl are trying to kill off the "drop shipping" or similar scenario where dealers sell stuff on the Internet they never see and/or have no expert knowledge in.

This is OK for some things, but saws etc are different kettle of fish.

That said, I find it annoying to find this policy seems to cover everything, so I cant just order a new chain for example.

As for the business users who know exactly what they need & need it fast, it must be maddening.

Thankfully, we have good Husky dealers nearby & my daughter lives not far from FR Jones who I will be visiting tomorrow.

N

I hope this helps to clear things up.

:thumbup:

With respect, things were already understood.

I doubt this will help the good dealers - your customer relationship has been compromised by Stihl.

As already said by many, I don't need dealership advice - it's like going out for a meal and having to talk to a dietician before you're allowed to order.

With respect, things were already understood.

I doubt this will help the good dealers - your customer relationship has been compromised by Stihl.

As already said by many, I don't need dealership advice - it's like going out for a meal and having to talk to a dietician before you're allowed to order.

Hi all it been like this for years world wide it only in the uk they have got away with it and that's what I'm told from Stihl uk so I think we all have to move on from it thanks Jon