Have to renew all NPTC units every 5 years

lloyd g

Only a matter of time before some bright spark in insurance says, if you've not refreshed/retrained, you have to pay more. And that will be nowt to do with reducing their liability and everything to do with putting another 5p on the shareholders' dividend.

HSE "recommends" that you refresh every 5 years (as a pro).

The fact is that if you had to make a claim and your insurance company checks your CPD (including refreshers) and you can't demonstrate that you you are competent, they will, in all probability refuse your claim. I know guys who have been on the saw for decades who are bloody dangerous. Most of them are still working on their old "blue book" ticket and don't realise that this is not even recognised as proof of competence by insurance companies anymore, nor can you refresh a blue book, you have do the whole lot again.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it mandatory to have a refresher every 5 years? Will our NPTC cert become in valid if we don't have the refresher? I am having problems at the moment because of it.

I spoke to FISA at length about it the yesterday. It seems it is only mandatory to have a refresher every 5 years if you work for a FISA member on the timber harvesting front. At the moment they are not concerned about arb or utilities work (so I was told).

Presently you must provided evidence of training (refresher or otherwise) or register for refresher training before 1st October (there is another thread on here) to continue cutting commercially on ground managed by FISA members.

Other aspects of training will of course be covered by the HSE recommended 5 year refresher, but no one is currently enforcing this - as far as I'm aware, no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong?

I'd be interested to know how it's causing you problems (don't mean that in any snide way, genuinely would like to know what problems its causing).

problems in what way ,

I have a tree to remove which has power lines running close by, the power needs to be turned off. In the past I have called the power provider and they have shut the power off and let us do our work without much fuss. The last time I needed this done was in March this year, no problems. The time before that was 2008. I have spoken to them today and they can do a shut down but I have to provide a risk assessment and method statement, insurance details and copy's of anyone working on the jobs NPTC certs. Now I do t have a problem with any of that I do R/A and M/S for any big Job or where it's needed no probs, I have insurance and we all have NPTC but they have said that now they want everyone to have do a refresher course in their highest ticket say for example CS 40/41 or whatever. Now I am told a refresher would cost £100 for a day add on the days lost earnings for me and I'm up at say £400, then the climbers I use neither of which have needed refreshers to carry out the jobs with my company or any other company so for 1 days work its not worth them doing it either. If I was working for the power company I could sort of understand it but its a private job.

I have a tree to remove which has power lines running close by, the power needs to be turned off. In the past I have called the power provider and they have shut the power off and let us do our work without much fuss. The last time I needed this done was in March this year, no problems. The time before that was 2008. I have spoken to them today and they can do a shut down but I have to provide a risk assessment and method statement, insurance details and copy's of anyone working on the jobs NPTC certs. Now I do t have a problem with any of that I do R/A and M/S for any big Job or where it's needed no probs, I have insurance and we all have NPTC but they have said that now they want everyone to have do a refresher course in their highest ticket say for example CS 40/41 or whatever. Now I am told a refresher would cost £100 for a day add on the days lost earnings for me and I'm up at say £400, then the climbers I use neither of which have needed refreshers to carry out the jobs with my company or any other company so for 1 days work its not worth them doing it either. If I was working for the power company I could sort of understand it but its a private job.

gotch you

gotch you

See if I dont have to do the refresher for my day to day work I'm not gonna fork out for the odd job that comes along once in a blue moon as Its not worth it. Just wondered how many other domestic tree firms/ lads etc have done it. The ones I have spoke to have never needed to. If your good at your job then why do you have to refresh??

You are working for your client the provider just has to pull the fuse, ask them what authority they have to demand what they are asking for

You are working for your client the provider just has to pull the fuse, ask them what authority they have to demand what they are asking for

That's my thoughts too, I did mention it and they said its to make sure we are competent in the task we are doing, so eliminating cowboys?? If anything it will encourage people to risk doing trees near power lines rather than going through the propper channels.

I booked a FISA refresher as I don't want doors to close to me on the job front. Not signing up to become a member as yet, but thinking of doing so in the future. The "odd job" to me can mean a week or two's work. I also think it's a way to prove that I'm competent and skillfull with my saw.

FISA sent me an email confirming that I've registered for update training, but that they will contact me soon.