Arbtalk Members Reponses to Stihl's Online Policy

Honey Bros

As has been said I can understand the issues around machines but parts is just ridiculous. The handover policy for everything will lead to more people using pattern parts which in most cases are of inferior quality leading to the frequency of breakdowns increasing and the reputation Stihl have for reliability disappearing.

I generally run Stihl oils, bars and chains on my Stihl saws. Preventing me from buying these online will not make me use my local (8 miles away) dealer as the stock held is poor to say the least. Instead I will start to purchase the equivalent consumable made by the likes of Oregon from my preferred supplier. My money will still go to the same (non local) supplier but will not ultimately end up on the Stihl balance sheets. Does this make financial sense to Stihl? The same will apply to trousers, files, etc.

My local dealer is helpful, knowledgeable but poorly stocked and runs at long lead times for both supply and repair. I have the knowledge to complete 90% of my own repairs when I have the parts. I can't afford to wait a week for parts to come in and I can't afford the time to visit my local supplier for routine service items. My loyalty to the Stihl brand for parts and consumables is highly likely to end abruptly.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if thats the case why dont stihl make diy saw all 4 stroke or a extra tank thats clearly marked for 2stroke oil then it mix with the petrol problem solved IMO i have got a few stihl bits and can say there poo / rubbish in quality not what i remember from buying my first every saw 10 years ago ms180c the newer stuff just pants never again stihl

My local dealer doesn't know the difference between chisel and semi chisel chain. I cant rely on him so I rely on FR jones in london. I live in rural somerset and cant currently afford a car. Why not survey and retest the dealers around the country? Use mystery shoppers and see what turns up? Don't punish the pro users for some dealers actions.

Gus McWilliam-Silk

As above, I run 3 stihl saws, all bought online, stihl blowers, stihl hedge cutters..

Has never harmed before.

Stink 2stroke oil, fuel pipe, clutch kits, sprokets, filters spares etc

Its ideal over internet because as been said before if it breaks during the day a quick phone all or internet on your phone and part is there next day to keep on working.

I really don't see the need to cancel online sales, is everyone is certified and can prove it to use a chainsaw be it climbing saw or not we should not be penalised.there again my local dealer radmores are

.poo.

The messed up my probs with my 261, and try to sell you rubbish you don't need, not forgetting the fact the one day I did need some spares I phoned and they never replied...

Internet is the early forward , it allows the workman to get a decent product at decent prices

Who will be paying for my34 mile round trip into Exeter and back??..

Will make for expensive brake and etc..

Please don't be so stupid

Josh

Mid devon

Dear Stihl,

Whilst progressive companies continue to tailor their products and services to evermore discerning and informed customers - you seem to have decided that a policy of pushing buyers into your dictated way of business will prove profitable.

When has that ever been acceptable?

This seems to be the action of a company who cares little about competition and less about once-loyal customers - I think you've just given your competitors more help than they could have dreamed of.

Dee Hannaway

Dear Stihl,

Whilst progressive companies continue to tailor their products and services to evermore discerning and informed customers - you seem to have decided that a policy of pushing buyers into your dictated way of business will prove profitable.

When has that ever been acceptable?

This seems to be the action of a company who cares little about competition and less about once-loyal customers - I think you've just given your competitors more help than they could have dreamed of.

Dee Hannaway

Wow! Keep them coming!

Dear Stihl

I am amazed at your "head in the sand" attitude to on-line sales. Do you really think your company is big enough to ignore what is rapidly becoming the main way people shop?

Surely this policy can only lead to the slow and painful demise of what is to my mind a great company.

On a personal level, I live on a Scottish island and have 4 Stihl chainsaws, one brushcutter, one blower and a cut off saw. We have no Stihl dealer on the island which has never before proved a problem when parts are needed, however if I now have to travel to the mainland to visit my nearest dealer then I can only see me selling my Stihl products and replacing them with those of one of your competitors.

Dear Stihl ,

I run 11 various Stihl machines in my business . I repair and maintain all of them my self , and to be perfectly honest I don't think my local dealer provides a good service .

On past experience my local dealer has made me wait up to two weeks for parts . I can order on the internet and get parts next day from dealers in England .

I am self employed and cannot afford machines to be waiting for weeks for parts . Stihl's new policy will take away my right of choice of whom to deal with and damage my business

If this change of policy by Stihl happens I will have to change to another brand .

I have been loyal to Stihl over the the years and have spent many thousands of pounds buying and running your equipment . All I want is the right to buy my genuine Stihl parts from dealers who provide the service I require , and if that is by mail order so be it .

I will not be forced to buy from a local dealer who provides poor service and poor value for money .

Dear Stihl,

It is wholly nieve of you to isolate yourselves from the customer in this way. Surely you have to research your market in every country you sell products in and tailor them to your customers needs. For without us, you wouldn't be trading. And if you are stubbonly going to carry out your new sells technique then i'd advise that you train your local dealers to be polite, curtious and FRIENDLY to whomever enters their shop!!!!

trees, waves and cakes!!:-)