How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

for my sins i have very recently started to sit on the NOS:confused1: new arb boy in old boys forestry club, it takes about three years to make changes so this change started long years ago!

:sneaky2:

As a current nptc chainsaw related assessor I was somewhat surprised to see the assessor guidance notes released to the general public :scared1:

especially When I among other related Assessors have not had prior sight of them. these are then available as crib sheets for candidates I'll be expecting more to be word perfect now

Also given any revision , & subsequent training course content amendments

Should the time frames alloted to candidates by training providers to prepare individuals for an assessment be reviewed also

Current

cs 30 31= 4 days

cs 38 =4 days

cs 39 =2 days

then 1 for the assessment

Edited by Yorkshireman

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a current nptc chainsaw related assessor I was somewhat surprised to see the assessor guidance notes released to the general public :scared1:

especially When I among other related Assessors have not had prior sight of them. these are then available as crib sheets for candidates I'll be expecting more to be word perfect now

Also given any revision , & subsequent training course content amendments

Should the time frames alloted to candidates by training providers to prepare individuals for an assessment be reviewed also

Current

cs 30 31= 4 days

cs 38 =4 days

cs 39 =2 days

then 1 for the assessment

Yeah- I noticed that ! WTF ! :closedeyes: Anyway-as far as our industry goes-in the last 4 yrs I have worked with more lads with NPTC tickets who couldnt do half of what they should have been able to- poor background knowledge ect-They ALL passed an NPTC course- Which industry people were consulted ? List of names / companies maybe? Because the current candidate results leave me wondering what..........( might be some closed shop business going on -maybe)

K

Looks like its all about the money to me.

What new chainsaw techniques am I going to learn by going on a refresher course?

If I'm using saws day in day out then why would I want to have a refresher?

Its fair enough if your a groundie that hardly ever uses one then yes I think it would be appropriate.

No one ever says I have to take my driving test every 5 years and I'm sure I could kill a hell of a lot more people and do way more damage than I could with an 020.

If it does go ahead and we do have to retrain then its another nail in the coffin for me in this industry :icon13:

There would also be a lot less chance of me employing climbers!

also have not heard anyone jumping up and down that they will need to do update training to keep there HGV and ipaf and first aid tickets would you like me to carry on

Bob how often do you carry out first aid? I have never had to carry out mouth to mouth, so are we likely to remember the training after 3 years?

Your first aid ticket HAS AN EXPIRY DATE!!!!!! with good reason I would say.

In the last 15 years I have not gone more that 2 weeks without using a saw.

I would argue there would be grounds for more training IF you have an accident

I really do not feel I need more training, I feel I am good at my job, my farther has been a joiner for over 50 years and has never had to do any refreshers, its all a load of bollocks IMHO.

Bob, if you feel to need refresher you go for it, we are all different, I ain't trying too stop you :001_smile:

Refresher courses are a load of crap for experienced workers who use saws every day of their working life...and when their not using them their taking em to bits and working on them.. at least I am.

Competant people in this industry dont need to be told about poor technique and frowned on methods because you wouldnt last long taking risks.

Are all our premiums gonna go down as a result. No!. We'll still be paying the earth.

There is a place for occasional users who have to use a saw but this is what happens when there is just one regulatory body calling the shots. It maybe simplistic on paper but limited choice and no room for maneuver, we are all at NPTCs whim. Come back fastco.

nice one arborlord

as you should of been doing since you got your tickets in the first place

the only difference is when or should i say if you do a refresher then the course would include new parts of the requirments

ask ant EA employee they have to do full refreshers for all there tickets every 3 years so even if they just done cs32 and 3 years ago they did cs30and31 then they still have to do the refresher for them

as afag states 3 years for casual users and 5 for regular users

I can vouch for that above I am in this boat this month!!!!

My personal thought is most of my work is domestic and i have never once been asked to provide my tickets i have to show them, to which most dont know what they are.

I would only do a refresher if it was legally required to keep my insurance.

Again in 5 years i have not forgot how to drive so i dont think ill learn some new way to cut a tree with a chainsaw either.

Im not as time served as many of you but im getting quiet pissed off with the rediculous regulations we are to abide by.

I think you should be competently trained and have EL and PL. Other than that its an expensive with no reward.:thumbdown:

Bob how often do you carry out first aid? I have never had to carry out mouth to mouth, so are we likely to remember the training after 3 years?

Your first aid ticket HAS AN EXPIRY DATE!!!!!! with good reason I would say.

In the last 15 years I have not gone more that 2 weeks without using a saw.

I would argue there would be grounds for more training IF you have an accident

Bob, if you feel to need refresher you go for it, we are all different, I ain't trying too stop you :001_smile:

I really do not feel I need more training, I feel I am good at my job, my farther has been a joiner for over 50 years and has never had to do any refreshers, its all a load of bollocks IMHO.

as you say are we likely to remember the training after 3 years

i agree NO

there are deffinatly things on a training course you do not do regularly

every time i do a first aid ticket things have changed

how often do we do rescues????

also refreshers look at new techniques and look at bad habits that i am sure most of us have

and look at new legislation and new equipment

most climbers are certainly not climbing as efficiently or ergonomically as they could but there is always a limit to what can be covered on a basic felling course or climbing course

how many folk ever properly learnt and were competent at a pole rescue as there is certainly a difference between knowing the basics and been able to do it competently and efficiently

please not i have not aimed any comments to anyone specific and have just thrown a few general points

i could of gone on but to some i hope i have given a couple of reasons

as another little point i have loads of different bits of paperwork and NPTC is the only one that does not need re examining every 5 years

i just put 4 lads through a tractor course all trained and qualified but out of date so this time we put them through the NPTC one so in 5 years they only need a quick refresher rather than a full course and test

thats it for now boys keep em coming