zig zag failure?

Dilz

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still climbing on mine. Chinese whispers are a funny thing, I can't see how you would snap that eye in most situations it would just bend. But let's just wait and see.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I haven't got anything on my top krab to hold it in place so once or twice it had moved down the spine and if it was quickly loaded I suppose it could twist the gold loop. But whether it would just snap it instead of bending it is where the problem is I suppose.

I haven't got anything on my top krab to hold it in place so once or twice it had moved down the spine and if it was quickly loaded I suppose it could twist the gold loop. But whether it would just snap it instead of bending it is where the problem is I suppose.

It would have to break 2 loops, plus the plastic shroud between them...just don't see it myself.

It would have to break 2 loops, plus the plastic shroud between them...just don't see it myself.

No I don't expect it to happen either. Loop can be used just to be sure although it would be slightly in the way sometimes as obviously it won't rotate fully.

If anything at all I would be more inclined to be worried about the rivets popping and the ball pulling out. That really would be freefall then!!!

But I don't expect that to happen either.

You want to try dangling at 70ft on the original lockjack eye, on comparison the zigzag is bomb proof.

This is the very first lockjack loop the only thing stopping you from free fall and I was still using this up till a couple of years ago.

The stem is 7.5mm and the loop wall is 4.5mm

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1365936010.923711.jpg.0023b72bbc52712a1797d63e6e14d7a2.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1365936041.436059.jpg.9b78ddce6eed20eebe02d12874cd6d47.jpg

Some poignant questions asked on this Treetools blog about the certification (?) of the Zigzag..

Treetools Blog | life in trees - hell yeah!

Interesting! I suppose I'm one of those just assume petzl have it covered.

I for one will continue to use my ZZ as is with no redundancy loop. Nearly every other system does not require it stating it as foolhardy not to use one just shows a doubt in the tool itself, if this is this case don't use it or if redundancy is your thing then why not do the sensible thing and climb with 2 systems.

Have Petzl been informed or know about the ZZ shredding ropes? This is of greater concern to me at this time.