buying firewood processor

blacknora

The Farmi processors are available as PTO and petrol versions, so it can be towed to site and used on the petrol engine.

Should there be a tractor on site you can use it on the PTO to save petrol.

The road towable machine will able still fit on a tractor linkage, so all very versatile.

Youtube is a good starting point to compare the different makes. Some of them are very fiddly to unfold!

The Farmi is very open so you have plenty of access to deal with bent timber, and the V shaped infeed grips bent logs much better than a conventional flat conveyor to feed them in.

Bet you'll be impressed with a demo!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you have an opinion on which ones?

we seem to have decided to go for a mobile one because few users over the area are buying together. this severely limits the choice so it is a bit of a headache, to a point where i am now thinking do we need to reevaluate that decision. however it does mean getting another piece of kit like a tractor or something be able to move it and then you face budgetary restrictions.... hmmm...

also thanks for all the advice up till now, that is really useful:)

look at the infeeds, those with tight sides such as the Posch 350 I would not think will be as good as those with open sides such as the Dalen which people here rate for bent timber.

I use a JAPA 700, good bit of kit, dont think I would be much faster processing the cord I have with a bigger machine, easier yes, faster no. Today I was putting a cut through 200mm cord every 5 -7 seconds or so, that could be faster but I am always waiting for the splitter ram to return.

If you are buying your cord in think twice about a chainsaw machine, light yes, but the volume of sawdust is huge. On a 250mm log cut with a .404 chain you could be loosing 3% of your cord. At £55 a tonne thats a lot over a winter.

A

These machines are heavily built, have low maintenance & can accommodate a greater range of input materials. They use primarily direct drive hydraulic systems to run the functions. The chainsaw on these machines only turns when you are cutting, most other units use a belt to turn the sprocket which 1 wears out easily and 2 turns the chain whenever the machine is on. So with those machines you waste a lot of bar oil, and also go through a lot of saw bars and chains. We use a hydraulic saw motor to turn the saw sprocket, so it is only turning when needed. The 1610EZ is the smallest in the range & also the best seller.

[ame=http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFaoNJxaKUM]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFaoNJxaKUM[/ame]

1610 EZ NEW.pdf

How about a circular saw and a decent splitter....that's my set up and I think it does pretty well unless you desperately need to be mobile or do a really high volume as said previously processors like nice wood at least with a saw and splitter you can turn anything into firewood. Much cheaper too.

My mate has a Palax he runs of his big John Deer . He says he has put over 750 tons through it this winter and it never missed a beat .

Think thats the way to go for a pro set up but if you are only putting 100 tons through it a year then not really that cost effective. Money would perhaps be better spent on a smaller machine and timber handling gear.

From the sound of the first post its a group of friends that have in mind buying a small machine that can be towed behind a 4x4. Unless they have a cheap or free supply of cord then its not really a big cost saver given the price that processed logs can be bought at.

But, I just find processing logs very satisfying.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Have a look at the Dalen from Marshall Engineering. Takes upto 20 inches and is built simply and strong. Looked at a lot of others on the market, although cheaper and appear a good concept etc the Dalens along with the Posch are hard to beat.

The Farmi processors are available as PTO and petrol versions, so it can be towed to site and used on the petrol engine.

Should there be a tractor on site you can use it on the PTO to save petrol.

The road towable machine will able still fit on a tractor linkage, so all very versatile.

Youtube is a good starting point to compare the different makes. Some of them are very fiddly to unfold!

The Farmi is very open so you have plenty of access to deal with bent timber, and the V shaped infeed grips bent logs much better than a conventional flat conveyor to feed them in.

Bet you'll be impressed with a demo!

Have to agree with what Jim says, if you look at my post "processing driftwood" you will see some of the bent and twisted timber that's gone through the machine. We did three days of non stop bendy wood, the only problem was we eventually run out of wood!

hello folks, new member here. hoping for some advice on where to go for firewood processors. already familiar with fuelwood, davies implements, m.large, riko, just found jas p wilson. am i missing anyone worth checking out? we are looking for a mobile firewood processor the likes of japa 300 be. used would be fab, or new but cheap (ha-ha!) ;)

thanks all!

I have sent you a private message