First Impressions & "Corporate Image"

Syd_B

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not treework obviously but when I go out to quote jobs I focus on knowing what I'm talking about and being professional.

If people have a problem with me turning up in an (old) Range Rover then I don't want to work for them.

If people have a problem with me wearing walking boots and jeans rather than a suit, I don't want to work for them.

If people want me to join in a Dutch auction with several other contractors, I don't want to work for them.

My time is just as important as my clients, if they're late and don't phone ahead, I don't want to work for them.

If they don't appreciate the effort I go to for my clients, I don't want to work for them.

I stick by these rules and business is still going well by more importantly, enjoyable. We do our very best, work with nice people and get paid. 6 way tenders go straight in the bin now unless they're for very good regular clients. Quoting properly takes timqe, I don't like wasting my time! :biggrin:

Not treework obviously but when I go out to quote jobs I focus on knowing what I'm talking about and being professional.

If people have a problem with me turning up in an (old) Range Rover then I don't want to work for them.

If people have a problem with me wearing walking boots and jeans rather than a suit, I don't want to work for them.

If people want me to join in a Dutch auction with several other contractors, I don't want to work for them.

My time is just as important as my clients, if they're late and don't phone ahead, I don't want to work for them.

If they don't appreciate the effort I go to for my clients, I don't want to work for them.

I stick by these rules and business is still going well by more importantly, enjoyable. We do our very best, work with nice people and get paid. 6 way tenders go straight in the bin now unless they're for very good regular clients. Quoting properly takes timqe, I don't like wasting my time! :biggrin:

I think thats a very good philosophy you've got there. :thumbup1:

I think thats a very good philosophy you've got there. :thumbup1:

We weren't always like this but for the last 6 or 7 years we've found it works well for us :001_smile:

I went to a meeting in London a few years ago with the project team for The Brewery in Cheltenham. I wandered into a typically swanky boardroom full of sharp suits wearing my standard uniform of jeans and cat boots. I did feel a little underdressed I have to admit :blushing::laugh1:

Got the job though, £700k fit out of 21 apartments :thumbup1:

I always turn up in jeans or green combats with logo sweat shirt & dealer boots .

Its most important that you take your boots off at the customers door .

Ihave won a lot of jobs based on this little bit of respect ,

The truck i drive is a 22 year old k reg vauxhall frontera 4x4

i dont care what they think of that as it suits me for the

mowing & maintenance tools & i can put the seats up

& still get the kids in if need be plus its great in the snow

ATB Roy

i use to have a £7000 car which when new was £35000. it was standard with a factory 2 tone paint job and a loud engine (4600cc V8).

off the bat people were putting me down to charging too much.

If i had turned up in a 20K land rover then they think 'thats the right bit of kit for the job!'

So it can make a big difference.

We have a new truck to enable us to work in london (emission rules) and the number of times i have been told i am making too much money is unreal! I always repley that i dont actually own it yet until i have made payments for the next 5yrs! They get the point then ( in a polite way).

Uniform always have your logo showing and i dont dress too smart. ( no suit)

If a suit come to the door i personally would be put off.

And take off your shoes!

Good skills,and it obviously works.I turn up in an old discovery, wearing tattersal shirt and moleskins.In a rural area, it seems to purvey the fact that you`re in tune.