Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just going through the process of public liability etc. At the moment I have cs 30 31 32 38 39, but not 41. apparently my insurance covers me for what I am qualified to do, therefore if I touch any sort of rigging before I do cs 41 I wont be covered. as far as learning on the job, yes that is the case, but without proper training I bet some (not all) of that is learning by trial and error, I'd rather do a course trained by a professional with modern techniques, than pick up someone else bad habits.

Tickets NPTC 30 / 31 / 32 / 34 /38 / 39 wood chipper / MEWP and self drive / first Aid / Safe pass / manual handling and I even have ticket to drive a forklift , all I need is 7am - 5pm Monday to Firday and over time Saturday and all wood be good.

Probably the irony of being over qualified...:001_rolleyes: It will come though. When you are in work its finding the time to do courses. When you've done the courses its finding the work.

NPTC's are not qualifications anyway, so they do not make any of us qualified.

Without any NPTC's I would be exactly the same at my job, but I would have had less doors open to me along the way.

Nptc units (the old name for the cs units as we refer to them as) are now classed as qualifications thru the city and guilds qualification framework. And if I can pre-empt your response, yes I agree I thought they were simply a cert of confidence like a safety test. So yes, if you have units I guess you would be entitled to call yourself qualified.

Too true, these days as well as proving your a qualified tradesman, you now need add on's like cscs, 1st aid, asbestos awareness, where the hell will it end. I'm quite happy making gates, animal houses etc in my garage if i could earn enough.

I did the city and guilds full time. Paid good money for the privilege and did the same modules as nvq course only they wouldn't let me do that without an apprenticeship. Not many of those about for 30year olds! So i worked part time. I have pretty much every cert ever offered to me. Means jack all if no one will employ you.

City n guilds adv carpentry/joinery/construction.

Rescue first aid.

Asbestos awareness.

Fire fighting/warden.

Rescue confined spaces 6405.

Chapter 8.

Fast water course.

What do i do? I fit monitors on waterways and cut lawns and fix fences part time.

I've paid thousands for certs. Without someone willing to give you a chance to gain the experience they mean nothing.

:001_smile:Fair enough if youve got on and done well with no certs in the industry but what do you call qualified? I know too many people that have done the 12 week fast track course, have obtained all of their nptc's and are ''ready to go''. (still cack) In my view the 12 week course should be scrapped. Its inundating the industry with far to many wannabes who arnt dedicated to their job, thinking they can start up on their own and completely over saturating the industry (in my experience down in the south east)

I completed a two year National diploma at a good college and learnt not only how to obtain my qualifications (just like learning to drive) but a hell of a lot about the best working practices in the industry and the care that goes with it. Im not saying i was an expert after the two years at college as I have had to undergo lot of on the job learning but for anyone who seriously wants to be in this profession in the Uk/europe, this is what you have to do. Going back to qualifications, I wouldnt even think about hiring someone without cs38 whether they thought they knew what they were doing or not. sh*te better stop rampling..

:001_smile:Fair enough if youve got on and done well with no certs in the industry but what do you call qualified? I know too many people that have done the 12 week fast track course, have obtained all of their nptc's and are ''ready to go''. (still cack) In my view the 12 week course should be scrapped. Its inundating the industry with far to many wannabes who arnt dedicated to their job, thinking they can start up on their own and completely over saturating the industry (in my experience down in the south east)

I completed a two year National diploma at a good college and learnt not only how to obtain my qualifications (just like learning to drive) but a hell of a lot about the best working practices in the industry and the care that goes with it. Im not saying i was an expert after the two years at college as I have had to undergo lot of on the job learning but for anyone who seriously wants to be in this profession in the Uk/europe, this is what you have to do. Going back to qualifications, I wouldnt even think about hiring someone without cs38 whether they thought they knew what they were doing or not. sh*te better stop rampling..

Don't get me wrong I am all for training and qualification but I disagree, 12 weeks is enough, tree surgery/climbing is not that complex, after that you really have to learn on the job.

To be a TO or a consultant fair enough a longer course is necessasary