Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, I always get the feeling that asking you a question is a bit like throwing a tennis ball for a Border Collie! (5 seconds later it drops it at your feet and you realise you've started something you cannot finish!)

But... would you care to enlarge on what you said as it's a bit cryptic,

being likened to a spaniel at your ball throwing whim is unlikely to extract anything other than pure sarcasm!:001_rolleyes:

and should I take the subtle hint regarding the matter of my postings in reply to a given subject as relentless and oppressive (starting what you cant finish implies) and not bother, or would you like to ask me again in a less than baited way?

he says running off into the distance to chase ones own tail......:lol:

I would assume he means stuff more technical than pruning a few limbs off, such as the techniques used on the ecology threads, most 'arbs' can't tell a birch from a beech, so everything else is unknown, such as fungi, habitat, different management techniques such as causing hollowing, coronet cuts, branch fusing, and so on, most arbs will see fungi, and will remove the area affected, hollowing and remove, crossing limbs and remove the weaker limb, dead wooding (crown cleaning/clearing) etc.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Most "Arbs can't tell a birch from a beech" utter nonsense (Lots can't spell them admittedly!)The rest is fairly ridiculous aswell, "everything else is unknown" poppycock! (can I say poppycock?)

being likened to a spaniel at your ball throwing whim is unlikely to extract anything other than pure sarcasm!:001_rolleyes:

and should I take the subtle hint regarding the matter of my postings in reply to a given subject as relentless and oppressive (starting what you cant finish implies) and not bother, or would you like to ask me again in a less than baited way?

Actually, you were being likened to a border collie ?

In my experience spaniels are just obsessively mad,

Collies are equally obsessed, BUT: they're also regarded as highly intelligent, able to learn an amazing array of things and have the ability to solve very complex problems.

They are often a little socially challenged and need their commands to be worded exactly right though....

think he's on about ecology

well thats part of it...

The thing we have to get our heads round as tree surgeons/arborists/arboriculturists blah blah is that essentially we have been cutting trees for produce reasons for centuries/millenia, its a culture thing.

these days things have become a matter of amenity too, and we are all still applying old culture values to a way of thinking about trees that is really outdated for the purposes of amenity and societal health and well being.

Trees are more than just logs waiting for harvest, or messy things filling our gutters with leaf, or blocking our light.

It doesnt require much imagination to find avenues of income from trees that involve far less detrimental effects and far more beneficial effects from our profit making devoutness.

just one example is in the restoration of health in trees, holisticaly via the rhizosphere, there is more demand than you might imagine, but if your only interested in firewood and lumber, or the latest shiny climbing aid your always going to find arbing a limited experience

Oh come on now! It was (almost) a compliment:001_smile:

Now..........fetch!:001_smile:

Maybe we should start a thread "What dog does such and such arbtalker resemble" character wise rather than appearance.

strange thread

I've read about 3 pages all about the same regarding non qualification. That I guess was the original thread. Please don't think all arbs are not qualified. I agree university of life and all that but I've found qualified/trained guys to be the most rounded in their knowledge.

Friend of mine is a nurse and she says it's always obvious when she visits nursing homes where the nurses aren't trained. Thats scary. There are some homes out there with untrained nurses. Which one would you want looking after you.

BTW Tony- I think you are getting qualified if only in the professional development side of things.

My own personal experience is that a trained/qualified workforce is best. Maybe thats just for my peace of mind:001_smile:

All you guys who have become successful without quals. Good luck to you. How much better could you have been with training at the outset.