Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

Unusual question I know and it is definately not a name and shame thread.

How many of you guys run your own businesses and make an honest decent living without a rack of NPTC certificates.

Just your own intelligence and experience to win your daily coin.

I am struck at the number of guys I come across over here who have never gone to college but learned on the job, fair play I say.

Ty

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not qualified as in college quals. I have several NPTC units, UA units, I've done advanced rigging technique training, and I have a Scouts badge for knots. I carry the Ladybird book of Trees in my bag, and a marmalade sandwich under my hat. I learned on the job, as I went, working for various companies in Arboriculture and woodland management, as well as felling some big timber and felling for firewood.

Ah yes, Ladybird books...

Best education a boy can have!

Ty:thumbup:

The Richard Bransons of the arb world and not in a millionaire sense either.

Left school with scars and dyslexia and now own a truck, chipper and have a professional reputation.

Without, all those certs behind them.

I'm currently climbing, and learning on the job. I'm doing my tickets as quickly as I can.

I have cs30/31 (cost me £1000!) :/

I have said this before but as Bruce Lee said " If you want to learn how to swim, throw yourself into water. Because on land no frame of mind will help you"

I'm 22, left school into work at 15 and have no gcse's. Now run my own successful business.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I have CS30 and 31. I got my tickets on a job offer and then just started hardwood thinning and haven't stopped since.

I have no qualifications relating to sawmilling or timber drying and am self taught (and have been the recipient of much help and guidance along the way from more people than I can remember to whom I am very grateful).