Do you buy online or local

Steve Bullman

Where do you buy, and why?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you buy, and why?

• Online - I can get cheaper prices buying online
    • Online - I like the convenience of being able to purchase online 24 hours a day
    • Online - There is no local retailer
    • Local - I get better support locally if I have purchased my machines from them direct
    • Local - I like to support my local dealer even if it means paying extra

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like other`s have said, I buy saw`s and equipment local and to be fair to them their prices are as good if not beter as on line, and I would like to think they would look after me for buying the gear off them, but if there is not a big choice of clothing, boots, rigging, and climbing gear so shop around online.

Probably 60/40 depending on how how quickly I need something and what it is ... Climbing and lowering gear and ppe on line, as I can get what I want sometimes oil and parts. I'm a fair way from my local dealer who I use for the chipper and some bits if I'm desperate but if I'm not desperate online is easier.

I have probably 4 retailers in a relatively small area around here. I can get some bits from one, another bit from the next, and maybe the remainder from the others. Or I can go online, in the convenience of my own home, and buy exactly what I need when I need it, and have it here tomorrow. It's a no brainer really. I also think it's such a shame. I don't want these small outlets to fail, but how can I support them? What are the online suppliers doing that the local dealers aren't? how come the online suppliers have what I need? It isn't just saw shops, it's just about any hobby or trade you can imagine. The online, web presence is King.

Almost exclusively online now. Partly it's convenience - particularly with small items that come through the post so I don't have to go in (usually twice, once to order, once to collect), and partly because it's quicker. I ordered just a replacement inlet needle valve for my 026 from the local dealer last Monday, arrived Friday. I ordered a complete carb kit on Wednesday, arrived Thursday. It's also cheaper, and the local dealers aren't very competent when it comes to diagnosing saw problems and fixing them (preferring to sell me a whole new machine), so they go to Spud.

As such, if the local dealers can't offer me an advantage on speed, price, convenience or maintenance, realistically they don't offer me anything and it wouldn't make any difference to me if they went out of business.

Alec

Varies

I like the convenience and range available online but I like the friendly chattiness of our local dealers. Also find locally machine fixing is far better as nearest online dealer near here is 60 miles away. Also nice to take a bit of kit in and have a chat with the fitter.

Insurance is 70% online/30% local broker

Chemicals 50% online 50% local

Materials 90% local

Basic PPE 100% online

Tool hire- almost 100% local

Training- local provider.

Think thats about it.

I've used a number of the usual suspects on here and always a pleasure doing business with them. Stuff usually arrives within 48 hrs and that is at the other end of the country. My local Stihl dealer has now ceased trading and the local Husky dealer is too expensive.

I have always had a problem with the attitude of the dealers. I think alot comes down to competence. Never have what I'm looking for. Always a hassle to order it in. And expensive. And always complaining about buying cheaper online. As if it is my fault.

Can't be bothered with all the macho BS as well. I'm as hard as nails but like to speak to people in a civilised way which does'nt always come across right.

Nobody likes a smart a**.

I now service all the works machines myself. Order my husky parts from the US.

Briggs&Stratton parts from a small online site and ebay.

Get alot of the unusual tools and supplies from small ebay shops, never had a problem.

Any new works machinery will be going through the chaps on here as far as I'm concerned.

I would prefer to buy local but it would be financial suicide. I try to give the local guys a chance first but nearly always end up getting bits online.

Two recent examples:-

1, I needed a photo cell kit local price £28 + VAT, online delivered price £6 same item same maker same box.

2, Replacement diesel fuel pump for the digger local price £50 plus VAT online price £20 inc del, again same item same box same maker.

So item 1 was 5.6 times more locally & item 2 was 3 times more. In both local cases I would also have lost about an hour picking them up & about £4 in fuel.

The local car parts shop is normally just a few quid extra & I can get the bits the same day in most cases so he does do ok.