British Standard! Paid for with your council tax!

GTW

Its all about aesthetics, money, and compliance with the Law. The LA only comply with the Standards when it suits them and when there budget permits . The quality of work shown on the photos is only upsetting to a very small minority of people, it means nothing to the vast majority of people, if you leave the towns for the countryside Joe Farmer normally prunes his trees with a tractor and flail or at least as much as it will reach !!! and no one minds that. The LA's use the Standards as a measurement of expectation, and if necessary as a tool which can be applied in Law. Developers and anyone (except travelling communities) wishing to do anything which may influence or adversely affect the growth and development of a tree should have knowledge of what they are doing and the relevant British Standards . If a tree does not have any legally binding constraints then in reality you can do what you like. You get what you pay for.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's true most people don't care. When I was home in Cavan a few wks ago some trees had been 'pruned' for the council. Right mess tears everywhere and I was talking to a resident who thought it was a great job!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

yes, they will grow back, yes, it is poor work. Its up to the Council to ensure standards are met by contractors. We all know that some of these Councils are more interested in price than quality...there are plenty of unqualified and vaguely insured companies doing Council contract work.

I personally couldn't and wouldn't do work like that...I take too much pride in my work for that....:thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1363973151.887528.jpg.e9f66e426022cd766c7122db3fb7fd60.jpg

Thought I would add these to the photos from my village that council contractors have completed.

Not sure if its a pollard or reduction but looks pretty awful. I think it was done from a MEWP.

It amazing that the council employ these people to butcher trees for what ever the reason and don't say anything about the end product. Why not use local tree surgeons to carry out local work as we are the ones that have to look at the hack job not the contractors from 50miles away, not to mention the work is payed for by us, the tax payer.

Do a good job first time and you can't go wrong.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1363973139.883967.jpg.855aa1989d2a65e617d874bf2b247b3d.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1363973117.766838.jpg.551dee7751c2f13ab56f401d6cbf59bd.jpg

You have to blame the LA for sanctioning work like this. I am surprised they have the budget to do it. Short termism I guess.

It is poor practice and poor economy.TO should explain to his Members and complainants that the trees will block more light as they grow more dense from all the cuts and return visits will be necessary to prune again and again and to eventually remove.

A good authority would have a tree management strategy in place highlighting such issues and plan necessary removals accordingly and replant with more suitable species.

However with the state of a LA finances flying pigs are more likely.

However with the state of a LA finances flying pigs are more likely.

Their finances are fine, it's the protectionist way they are spent which is the problem. LA's are cutting frontline services over back office bureacracy & senior / middle management in an attempt to shift blame for their failings from local to central government. This presumably makes central government look bad, they get voted out, Labour back in, public sector saved. And we suffer, everything from weekly recycling collections going to fortnightly to roads not being repaired to schools getting reduced funding.

LA's & their employees' trade unions are a real problem in my view :thumbdown: