British Standard! Paid for with your council tax!

GTW

in defense of parish councils who i do work for any tree work that needs doing they employ a qualified tree surgeon to do the work. and the one they use a lot is very good. so not all parish or city councils are as bad as photos. best thing you can do is get hold of your councilor who represents you and point it out if nothing is done it goes on.

It's very much dependent on you councilors though.

In the same way that Joe Bloggs wants all his trees TOPPED, and he doesn't want to listen to your "technical talk" - "just cut them flat at gutter height an' I'll give ye £50".

There's nothing a "good/qualified" tree surgeon can do about that. It's the spec. You can try to educate, but in the end you either take it or leave it.

The main problem is complaints.

Council TO's don't get phone calls about how lovely all of the trees outside people's houses are. They get complaints. TORRENTS of them.

Unfortunately this seems to lead generally to sub-standard recommendations for work, because they can't be bothered to fight their case any more.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to hear it :thumbup:

Have you seen the big old oak by the Texaco garage on shrub end road lately, or worse yet the, erm, 'habitat stick' by the speed camera top end of ipswich road? :eek: Of course no offence intended to whoever did the work, all to spec I'm sure!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I sent an email to the TO about that one! Pass it nearly every day and saw the

"tree contractors" turn up on site. Trucks not signwritten so couldn't tell who they were.

I sent an email to the TO about that one! Pass it nearly every day and saw the

"tree contractors" turn up on site. Trucks not signwritten so couldn't tell who they were.

The Shrub End or Ipswich Road one? I did have a quick peep on the council website and the Ipswich rd one is not TPO'd or in a CA, so it is 'ok'. Whether the contractor gave advice or followed owners instructions I dont know. But I reckon they where happier with a 50-60 foot healthy oak tree than a stub ridden 40 foot tall dead stem which will have to come down at some point...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• 3 weeks later...
If that’s what the client asked for (who are we to assume it isn’t), I would have no problem putting my name to it.

Municipalities are laying off hand over fist and if all they can afford is "fast and nasty" that’s what they will get.

Waaaay too much evangelical judgement with little knowledge of the facts, as others have said, it will grow back.

As much as it pains me to say this, the above is spot on.

We are currentley in the middle of some painful desisions as a busnesss not least of all perswading staff thet the councils cut backs mean that the 45 quid we would get for doing those trees means the work has to be that value, no moor no less, and alas the cold hard truth of econo,ics is is your expenditure is greater than income you wont last as a company.

The reality of working for LA's these days is the propogander of LA and the reality of what the ' run of the mill dleivery is are not always in sync.

you cant educate pork!

surely people cutting like this must be uneducated and i would hope they know no better.

i learned what pruning cuts where in my first job and was backed up with a college course that i joined a few years later.

I suppose that people never learned the correct technique so that is why they commit these massacres.