Busy Fools

Essex arborist

i,am one that does,nt undercut as i dont/wont do any tree work i leave that to the experts as i only want the logs for my fire. I must add i do get asked to do tree work but just advise the would be customer to seek a propper chap to do the job and pay a propper price to get the job done safely quick n clean

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This applies to almost every industry.

I run a small grounds maintenance business, and this is an issue I'm faced with every day!

So much so I now make a point of it, we are not the cheapest in the area, but we have the best kit, and we are fully insured etc etc.

It's the same story all over whether your a builder, climber or a gardener etc there will always be a man with a van (or an estate car!) claiming to be a gardener, or tree surgeon, or plumber!

It's our job, as professionals that invest in training, equipment, insurance and so to set ourselves apart from these..... Chaps! By demonstrating professionalism and knowledge of our chosen industry.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Ok guys can you dispense some advice to a self employed person starting out

I'm in Suffolk for the regional variation. But I honestly don't know what to charge I've worked out a rate which I think is reasonable and provides me with enough. how do you work it out?

I'm asking because I want to be in the arb business for a long time. So im all ears if people prefer to pm please do. Thanking you in advance Ian C

Ian, you live in one of the wealthier areas of the country, the recession has barely touched this area, 2nd homes are the norm, the Gay pound is strong, and the Grey pound here. Look at the cost of a mortgage, or rental of a property in this area, and land for a yard, it's pretty high. How are you going to ever hope to get going if you work for peanuts? I worked for a successful local Arb company ten years ago who was charging more for a two man gang than many charge now. He had the best kit, and was at the time at the fore of Arboriculture.

If you break down all your costs, as Yorkshireman mentioned, you will be astounded how much you need to earn to keep afloat, don't forget wear and tear on your kit too, depreciation, costs of loans etc. People make the mistake of starting out too cheap, (I did) then chasing their tail in circles all the time (I did) Being busy is not being succesful, if you do jobs too cheap you're still smashing your kit to pieces, for nothing. People will let you work for naff all, so long as they get it done why would they care? Someone once told me if you win 100% of quotes, your too cheap, less than 50% your too dear, so aim to win around 60-70%.

Another problem with starting too cheaply is that your clients will always expect it, and be offended if you try to charge more later.

Not going to share what I charge these days for typical 2men and chipper, as you're relatively local to me. Do the math. :001_tt2:

' would rather work 3 days a week for a professional rate than 5 days a week for maybe the same total profit (or maybe less depending on variable costs).'

..that hits the nail on the head for me...that and 'being busy isn't being successful'

I work 4 days a week and spend the 5th pricing and catching up in the office...its very easy to fall into the 'busy fool' trap :thumbdown:

I'm clearly in the wrong game cos the builders houses I visit to price work are all huge with the usual Range Rovers & Audi's on the drive. Someone should start a thread for us arbs - pics of your family car bet they're not as fancy as builders!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Who you trying to kid mate, builders might be doing well in your area and in london. You come up north and take a look around. Its a totally different ball game. Please dont tar everyone with the same brush. :thumbdown: