Busy Fools

Essex arborist

It;s not as I see it 'moaning about money' it's a reminder to us all not to get too carried away with discounting/ buying in work. It usually ends in tears.

Yeah, not a moan more a wake up call to the Busy Fools who want to work for silly money. I wouldn't mind but I get fed up wasting my time pricing against them, hindsight is a wonderful thing and you never know who you're up against cos prospects can't remember their name when you try to qualify before your visit.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys can you dispense some advice to a self employed person starting out

I'm in Suffolk for the regional variation. But I honestly don't know what to charge I've worked out a rate which I think is reasonable and provides me with enough. how do you work it out?

I'm asking because I want to be in the arb business for a long time. So im all ears if people prefer to pm please do. Thanking you in advance Ian C

:confused1: if you don't know how to price what the hell are thinking going out starting your own business

Don't wanna sound harsh, but Jesus where do I start.

I am scratching my head now :confused1:

It;s not as I see it 'moaning about money' it's a reminder to us all not to get too carried away with discounting/ buying in work. It usually ends in tears.

Yes it is a 'moaning about money thread" If you keep losing work on price.then you're too expensive, maybe too slow or using out of date, inefficient machines.

Some people should go out of business and end in tears, it's dog eat dog.

The idea of everyone driving around waving happily at other tree surgeons knowing we all charge about the same fair rate is La La land.

We've all had to start somewhere, I had to learn the hard way, as did many others. There is no easy ride, and that applies as much now as ever. Personally, I wouldn't wish to be starting out now in this job, the market is now at saturation point tbh. It's tough to know where to start with pricing, and I gues business studies isn't part of an Arb course, maybe it should be. :001_smile:

I recon we should all just knuckle down and get on with it instead of moaning, we aint got it to bad in my opinion,

I recon you hit the mail on the head bud.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

This is a good thread! As someone who is about starting out in business, doing mainly hedgecutting work small tree work and grounds maintenance. What would you suggest i should be turning over each day? The kit i'll be using won't include a chipper but i will have chainsaws, ppe climbing kit, hedgecutters, mowers etc etc.

Tree work isnt an occupation its become a life choice ! its an excuse to drive around in a landrover with a terrier dog, cook breakfasts on an open fire and pose for pictures.

The money isnt going to be plentyfull and neither is the work, so maybe the grafters on here that just want to pay the bills and cloth their kids should find a more lucrative less glamarous trade that does'nt appeal to people that either have rich parents or rich partners that can keep them in the custom while they play Lumber jack :biggrin:

I have a terrier and a 4x4 by the way :biggrin:

This is a good thread! As someone who is about starting out in business, doing mainly hedgecutting work small tree work and grounds maintenance. What would you suggest i should be turning over each day? The kit i'll be using won't include a chipper but i will have chainsaws, ppe climbing kit, hedgecutters, mowers etc etc.

It doesn't matter what we suggest mate, it should be based on your circumstances. What are your running costs? Then add on your wages and profit and hey presto there is your day rate.:) it's not rocket science just don't put your head in the sand when it comes to money.

Tree work isnt an occupation its become a life choice ! its an excuse to drive around in a landrover with a terrier dog, cook breakfasts on an open fire and pose for pictures.

The money isnt going to be plentyfull and neither is the work, so maybe the grafters on here that just want to pay the bills and cloth their kids should find a more lucrative less glamarous trade that does'nt appeal to people that either have rich parents or rich partners that can keep them in the custom while they play Lumber jack :biggrin:

I have a terrier and a 4x4 by the way :biggrin:

Again, well said. We all are thinking it. It's the uniform I like:) braces, boots and helmet;)