Busy Fools

Essex arborist

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is a 'moaning about money thread" If you keep losing work on price.then you're too expensive, maybe too slow or using out of date, inefficient machines.

Some people should go out of business and end in tears, it's dog eat dog.

The idea of everyone driving around waving happily at other tree surgeons knowing we all charge about the same fair rate is La La land.

For your information

We're not too expensive- we are quick- we generally use the most modern gear.

I assume you mean the general 'you'. Plus we are busy.

I believed the general thread bemoaned those who buy in work. This is foolish, though done by everyone at some time. Just to beware going down this route. It can kill the most promising firms.

As an aside and to anyone new to business- remember- you CAN often get the job by being 'not the cheapest'- Now that's a business top tip. Try and base your business model on this and not the chasing the $ down route. Plus remember, work is easy- staying in business, now that takes savvy.

I do though agree when you say that some people should go out of business- and they do so more than most people would believe.:001_smile:

True but what do you guys think is a decent/reasonable wage for a self employed person/sole trader?

Everyone is different, £120 a day wages ain't to bad:)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

For your information

We're not too expensive- we are quick- we generally use the most modern gear.

I assume you mean the general 'you'. Plus we are busy.

I believed the general thread bemoaned those who buy in work. This is foolish, though done by everyone at some time. Just to beware going down this route. It can kill the most promising firms.

As an aside and to anyone new to business- remember- you CAN often get the job by being 'not the cheapest'- Now that's a business top tip. Try and base your business model on this and not the chasing the $ down route. Plus remember, work is easy- staying in business, now that takes savvy.

I do though agree when you say that some people should go out of business- and they do so more than most people would believe.:001_smile:

Yes I do mean the general "you" it would sound a bit daft saying "one".

The rest all makes sense:001_smile:

There is too many people doing everything. We dont manufacture much so we now train people to service things or make missiles. There are too many people in a little island and people entering the country are not even illegal we have opened the flood gates to any other EU nation that has a struggling economy. If you can find work and it pays your bills I would say you are heading in the right direction. You are more likely to be a success at something low paid that you love doing than something high paid you hate. :thumbup1:

Tree work isnt an occupation its become a life choice ! its an excuse to drive around in a landrover with a terrier dog, cook breakfasts on an open fire and pose for pictures.

The money isnt going to be plentyfull and neither is the work, so maybe the grafters on here that just want to pay the bills and cloth their kids should find a more lucrative less glamarous trade that does'nt appeal to people that either have rich parents or rich partners that can keep them in the custom while they play Lumber jack :biggrin:

I have a terrier and a 4x4 by the way :biggrin:

I've got 5 terriers and 2 land rovers, i must be doing something right after all :biggrin: