Transit trouble

Fenland Arb

Hi all,

When i first started up i bought myself a cheap old LDV tipper and for reliability i couldnt beat it, in the end it was just the bodywork that let it down. As i progressed and work got busier i spent 5k on a crewcab Transit tipper with 65k on the clock. I spent quite a bit on having a nice chip body made and got the truck how i wanted it but within months of having it it turned into a nightmare. 1st problem was the timing went out, fixed that, then the dual mass flywheel clutch broke up, complete new clutch kit! Got going to work one day and the engine cut out, ended up being an electrical fault somewhere. A lot of money later it has actually behaved itself for a few months, parked it up on friday and went to it today and now it wont start!

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience with them? When the trucks running right i cant fault it, it tows my chipper and a load of chip with ease but its got me to the point now where i dont know what to do. Not sure whether to cut my losses and get rid but not sure what else id go for?

Its a pain when trucks play up!

Likewise i have an ldv and its one hell of a truck, refuse to sell it! I also have a crew cab iveco.

Was looking into changing the iveco but 5k doesnt get you when you look at trucks, need to spend 7-9k so thought bugger that! Better the devil you know!

Hope you do get sorted and smooth running soon :thumbup1:

P.s reason i didnt get a transit was due to injector pumps and dual mass flywheels.

P.s reason i didnt get a transit was due to injector pumps and dual mass flywheels.

Ours are forever back to the main dealer to get them reprogrammed after injectors or pump changed I wish we could do simple jobs like this in house but apparently too difficult.

Anyone heard of megasquirts for ford diesels??

im in the same boat m8. i got an 2004 crewcab got roughly 95 thou on clock now and ive had new clutch in it pulley that tensions drive belt broke and ruined alternater power steering pump and something else cost a fortune! now abs has stoped working and its due am mot soon which i know it will fail! dont want to keep throwing money at it but i cant afford a new one either:thumbdown:

as i am sure you have noticed the residual values keep going up and up! next to impossible to find a decent transit tipper for less than 10k now i have a 55 plate great truck but if something gos wrong it costs a fortune i wish i still had my old n reg so simple and cheap to fix!

Totally agree, love old style mechanical, not electrics and technology :thumbdown:

got 2x 06" plates, cant fault them.

had dual mass changed to solid state clutch,

Both have done over 100.000 miles and running sweet.

with regards to refusing to start, we had one do it a while ago and turned out to be starter motor shorting internally and draining power from the fuel pump relay, thus resulting in nothing when turning key .

put a new starter on it and all should be sweet, apparently if the pump does not get 12volts exact it will not fire, any short or power drawer will stop em starting

transits ? i had an old 190 for a number of years (the first ford i had ever bought)go to it any weather and it would start no probs after 7 years body was starting to look tatty so sold it with 247000 on clock (used it for delivery work preston to hull every day) so bought a newer one 350 125 47000 miles nice to drive went well, after about 3mths it seemed to get slower or was it me that had just got used to it ? mot time came £600 brakes discs drums etc 58000 seened even slower and no pull up hill,on a log delivery one day it would not even set off on a 1 in 5 hill with 1 cube of logs in a 6x4 trailer behind it ? morning after wouldnt start so towed it got it going and in to the garage heater plugs knacked so change, all broke off ,so cylinder head off, £1800 later had a van that would start then 4 mths later fuel pump was playing up then fixed it self then heater plug relay then fuel pump again,so decided to get rid as i had spent more on repairs than i paid for the van and lets face it if we buy a van/truck we buy them to use not to sit in a garage being repaired day in day out,so the transit went and i can honestly say it was the biggest load of rubbish i have ever bought, i now run a cabstar tipper its better on fuel,its cheaper on insurance and it pulls like a train but most of all, up to now has been very very reliable,this is just my experiance with transits,others will tell you different. my cousen is on his last transit after having 7 of them in 31 years last 2 have been more trouble than the other 5 put together merc next for him.

Hi all,

When i first started up i bought myself a cheap old LDV tipper and for reliability i couldnt beat it, in the end it was just the bodywork that let it down. As i progressed and work got busier i spent 5k on a crewcab Transit tipper with 65k on the clock. I spent quite a bit on having a nice chip body made and got the truck how i wanted it but within months of having it it turned into a nightmare. 1st problem was the timing went out, fixed that, then the dual mass flywheel clutch broke up, complete new clutch kit! Got going to work one day and the engine cut out, ended up being an electrical fault somewhere. A lot of money later it has actually behaved itself for a few months, parked it up on friday and went to it today and now it wont start!

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience with them? When the trucks running right i cant fault it, it tows my chipper and a load of chip with ease but its got me to the point now where i dont know what to do. Not sure whether to cut my losses and get rid but not sure what else id go for?

You have just fixed the big problem and his litle brother, if you get rid now you risk getting a vehicle you will have to spend on again. Better the devil you know