What chainsaw for a newbie (girl)

razor

Hi, this is my first post.... My husband and I have some woodland and since owning this i have found myself getting more and more interested in arbculture and chainsaws etc.... To the point I have recently been calling around to book my CS30/31 courses. I think i have made it through the Lantra/NPTC confusion and sort of understand the route :confused1:

What i am looking for is some advice on which pro chainsaw to buy, to be used on the course and then best benefit me further in the future.... I'd rather buy good now and not need to upgrade.... I don't mind adding to :001_smile:

My husband uses a 261.... I'd be grateful for any recommendations

Thanks in advance

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first saw was a Stihl 211, its only a couple up from the basic model, but noticeably quicker and has more power. I downsized the bar from 16" to 14" and it picked up into a gutsy little saw. I'm a small lad (9.5stone) and I find it nice and light, and with a decent chain it'll handle stuff upto its bar size with ease. depending on what kind of timber you'll be cutting I couldn't recommend it more for an entry level saw.

If I'm ever allowed to touch it, I'll let you know...:001_smile:

So far all I've been able to do is carry it!!

better get somthing real tasty then if hes gona be like that:biggrin:

i guess a husky 550/560, ive never used either but have an earlier 346xp and absolutly love it and apparently the two new ones are even better!

carl

If that is you in the pic, it looks like a 50cc ground saw is in order. I say this as they are small and light so won't kill your back and arms with use over an hour! Not being sexist but know what the wife would say if I gave here a big felling saw to use:blushing: .....and I often grab a 346XP for a bit of logging!

These small saws are pretty powerful in a good way and will go through typical 12 - 18" timber pretty damn quick.

If you are buying secondhand then a decent late model 346XP is hard to beat - budget around the £300-350 mark.

If you are looking to purchase new and perhaps own the saw 5-10 years then the 550XP is the latest Husqvarna and is a fine machine.

You will find that both these saws have very good Anti Vibration systems - the 346XP is one of the few saws I know that when left running on hard standing, don't spin and walk away:lol:

The MS261 is a bit like marmite - some have had bad experiences of having crank/clutch problems and some love it.....not got experience of these saws....yet!

Now prepare yourself for the Stihl/Husky war:001_rolleyes:

The 550 is a great little saw but quite agressive with it - it would out cut the 261 no prob. If you've never used a saw before I'd say the 550 could almost be a bit intimidating.

Weight and handling wise you should be fine with the 550, but maybe consider the 545 - the semi pro version of the 550 with just a little less power. Don't be put off by it not being the pro one - as far as I know they are almost identical component wise