What chainsaw for a newbie (girl)

razor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a good dealer near you 2nd hand isn't always a terrible idea. I bought a 254xp over a year ago and its a fantastic machine- even though its had a hard life it still has the heart of a lion! But then as the great-great-great grandfather of the 550 its a good lineage I guess. (Another plus- you can have 3 254s for the price of 1 new 550)

ms 290 stihl nice versatile saw

Surprised at that. Found mine heavy, ungainly, and slow to rev up when snedding. A plodder saw that made the day hard work. Traded mine for use of a hire car and still don't miss it.

OP, steal your hubby's 260 and try it for a couple of days work. If you like using it buy a husky 550xp as you'll find it similar in size but nicer to use all day.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Just passed my cs30/31 (or whatever it's called now!) I used one of my own ms260 mostly, but did get a chance to have a play with the instructors husky 550 and the college's ms261's and I have to say I'd have my ms260 over the ms261 but the husky also over the ms261

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

And if you intend to buy new and keep the saw a while may I recomend heated grips. Unless your a fair weather arb girl

I would say the same, most of the girls I know who work outside always mention having cold hands. A very good investment indeed. I picked up a reasonable condition 346xpg (the g indicates a heated handle) for £220 on eBay. I can't really notice too much difference power wise though it's much lighter than my 357xp.

I'd suggest the smallest saw that will be adequate otherwise you'll get angry at having to lug around the extra weight.

Also, Stihl X-Fit trousers because they are nice and tight.

Sorry.:blushing:

:001_rolleyes::post::post::post::lol::lol:

Another vote for the 241. Proper pro saw, nice and light, plenty of power.... :thumbup1: