Mowing/stones and broken glass

likeitorlumpit

In the past whenever we have broken a window through strimmer/mower action we have always held our hands up and paid the bill. This happens roughly twice a year in a bad year. Sometimes we go years without this sort of thing.

We recently lost a mowing contract that we had for 10 years or more. It was just end in a months time- apparently we wern't spending as long as they thought we should. Nothing to do with quality.

Anyway

Previously we had cracked a window and 3 months later (ie today) the management company is saying in a very terse phone call that we should be claiming on our insurance. I would normally do just that (well, not a claim but just paying out of our window fund) but as they had been very abrupt in ending our contract I am considering whether we really are liable in these instances.

What are your thoughts/ experiences on these matters. Particularly flying stones/grit. I guess most of you will just say pay up and move on but I'm just not happy with the tone of the phone call and don't want to help any more than I am obliged to. Is it really our fault that a stone has been picked up- I'm not 100%. Morally/ commercially then yes but legally, I sometimes wonder.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its a stone you picked up then your responsible for the damage. they may have ended the contract but thats the trouble can do work for many years then just decide lets try someone else . could be price. could be they do other work for them so using one firm.

just take on chin pay for it and walk away with your head high may come back asking you to do the work make it unpleasent and thats a door shut. not worth it

Contact the management Company and tell them you will hirer a window company to replace said cracked window. Fix it and move on. I have had this happen to myself and it is just the cost of doing business. Just becuse the management company contacted you via a " very terse phone call" could mean any number of things unrelated to the matter at hand. I believe when ever possible end a business relationship on a postive note, if you can.

easy-lift guy

We do a lot of landscaping , on both time's it's been the boss that's done the damage , we just get a lad he know's the size it up and replace , we have some light ply wood we use to put in front of the glass most of the time. Just pay the bill and keep going , if the work is good they should have you back.

Best stay above the line, if your machine flicked the stone then best pay to get it sorted and move on. As Hedge sparrow said they may come back to you in the future and in this climate we can't afford to lose the potential customers, annoying as they may be. The client might have been having a bad day before he spoke to you, he may be uncomfortable having to let you go but its always best to leave head high.

I usually string a tarp across the lower windows just in case.

Was talking to a lad the other day who worked for a contractor last year cutting roadside verges with a tractor and reach mower.

He told me that his employer had given him strict instructions that if a passing car complained that he'd just thrown up a stone,to deny any liability whatsoever.

Was talking to a lad the other day who worked for a contractor last year cutting roadside verges with a tractor and reach mower.

He told me that his employer had given him strict instructions that if a passing car complained that he'd just thrown up a stone,to deny any liability whatsoever.

when I used to tractor verge/hedge cut, both employers I worked for told me to do this!

after all could of been a stone off the car in front:001_rolleyes:

This however harsh it may sound to some is true. You will find that it's not really the boss telling him to do it but the insurance company telling your boss to say it.

Same with a car accident, you never admit liability at the scene. As you could be confused and in shock (again according to the insurance company)

Sorry no help with the window case. Knowing people in the glass game works Wounders with this though. :thumbup1:

I guess if you take it to the extreme and someone was injured the hse would be on you case for "not having a safe system of work" so I guess the buck stops with the operative and the employer.

. If it,s any consolation we broke a laminated plate glass panel last season that cost us £660 plus vat because we didn't check every inch of an eight acre lawn beside it:thumbdown:

Avoidable accident or hazards of the job?