Class........whats it mean these days???

skyhuck

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class..... Working and middle very much wealth dependent and not tiers in the original British 'class system', they're a recent concept created to encourage social mobility, or in other words to incentivise working a bit harder, having a nicer standard of living and contributing a bit more tax.

Traditional upper class is through birth right and was born out of the invading French ruling families, hence remaining British upper class families will have quite a lot of French sounding names in their family trees.

Upper classes can breed down, lower can marry in and breed up, but stigma will always be attached, making their descendants not truly 'upper class'.

Lower class has since been divided into middle, working and under, which essentially can be defined by how much tax you pay.

Whichever class you're in you may or may not 'have class', a phrase rooted in the old notion of class, upper or lower.

There are very few true upper class families left, most have been diluted and dissolved through marriage with upwardly mobile middle classes, many such relationships were formed at university as children of working families have found the means to attend university.

So, in my view while the old upper and lower classes still exist in a small way they diminish everyday.

For instance, even the royal family is diluting it's breeding, unavoidably, through marriage these days.

The wealth based divvying up of the lower class is at best a 'helpful' label but not something to define oneself by.

FWIW, I'm sure my ancestors would despair at me........ But whatever, I work hard...... :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

the only place class exists is in the minds of strange folk who think they are of some better stock, or those who have an inferiority complex

for me, true class is in the way we carry ourselves and the quality of our mindfullness, our ability to be awake and in the moment not distracted by petty one up shi.... im still working on that!

Im probably what you might call lower class, a chav, mongrel, peasent, and love it

I would class my self as working class my mrs is working class, we both earn about 14-15k a year my parents were working class but now worked there way into middle class where they dont have to worry about money really. Im not one to judge people by classes alot of people now seem to try to look rich but are pennyless. Im going to be trying to work my way up to a comfortable level where i dont have to worry whats in the bank etc etc currently in a situation where me and another company are combining we are wanting to expand and hopefully provide a wage where i reach my goal.

I think the class divides are still there, more so than in any other country I've been to in the world. The difference is, today you can change the class your in...in either direction!. There is also an 'underclass' of people who can't/won't work for various reasons...this is a massive burden on the working and middle classes...obviously the upper classes don't feel a thing!....I'm working class but like to think of myself as more of a 'fighting peasant'!