the secret to getting a good groundy...

swinny

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than on here, where do people look for groundies? young and keen. and most important waterproof!

not a full time basis like a subbie. able to pay into bank and have tickets (basic)

i have had people in for me in the past who' ve had no tickets, its good to have a labourer but it doesnt take any work load off me when it comes to saw work...

colleges or anywhere else to check?

Hi there, I am looking for work in Oxford if anyone needs a groundie :biggrin:

Sorry to hijack the post :001_smile: take every opportunity and all that.

i think being a good groundie makes you a even better climber, as if you cant grasp the basic skills or work well on the ground the how do you expect to be a decent climber, as its more impotant up there to have top knotch skills.

The trouble with first being a good groundie and then a climber you will have a job finding a groundie your happy with 100%.

The trouble with first being a good groundie and then a climber you will have a job finding a groundie your happy with 100%.

True. Would be thinking "I wouldn't have done it like that" or "when I was on the ground things moved a lot quicker" or "hurry up and move that huge limb you lazy bleep bleep bleep, in my day it was done before not after" :001_rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

I am 60 now and my bud who climbs still takes the trouble to tell me " **** stubby I can't believe you kept up " lots of brash and a long drag . Work hard but don't make work hard ! Be efficient as you can . Anticipate the climbers needs , as soon as you hear that 020 revving high be there with the fuel and oil . Remember what he said about needing he felling rope at a certain point , have it ready , stuff like that . That's part of being a good groundy . Its no secret so finding one should be no secret .

I'm self employed - generally working for other people.

My work ethic is

Always Punctual

Always Polite

Get on with the job

If I've nowt to do - Ask - If theres nobody to ask - Tidy up!

Phone stays in the car unless I'm lone working.

I've got no chainsaw tickets - but have quite a lot of experience working with machines from 12" to 36"

I own 15 Chainsaws...

I can drive anything you want, skid steer loader, telehandler, >200hp tractor and trailer, Mini digger, dumper, MEWP

I hold IPAF tickets for boom lifts, LANTRA for Counterbalance FLT and a Trailer license.

Did I mention I've 10 years experience repairing 2 stroke and 4 stroke small engines, Mowers, Ride on mowers, strimmers, chainsaws and hedgecutters, along with being trained by Stihl, Mountfield, Hayter, Briggs and Stratton and Husqvarna in this role...

Its a real shame I'm flat out working for farmers at the moment - I'd like a go in the arb business.

Guessing you're not at S.T's any more then Nat?

• 2 weeks later...

If current work ever dries up I'll surely be in touch Gray.

Chris, I packed in there a few years back, went to work for a Landrover garage, didn't like that so went to work in a hire shop as a driver and fitter.

Got bored of same thing every day so took a big step of quitting a well paid fulltime job to be self employed.

I usually charge £10ph which is a bit cheap really, but I'm making enough for now.