Problem with stove - help please!

The anti downdraught chimney cowls are just that - they help to stop sudden downdraughts when it's windy. When it's not windy - they will almost always REDUCE the draught of the chimney, so if the pull is marginal to start with, they may well make things even worse in calm conditions. There should be a soot trap on a T piece at the bottom of the flue pipe and the sweep will have (or certainly should have) emptied this when he swept it.

Many stoves will benefit from having the door left just cracked open when you're lighting - though if you have a cold chimney and the draught has reversed this won't help - if that's the problem then you need to get a bit of heat into it just to get things moving.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(Assuming your flu is clear)

If I leave my stove till the chimney is completely cold, my stove does exactly the same, I have to use a gas blow lamp firing up inside the firebox to get the up draught started, two minutes of that then start your kindling fire directly under the flue opening or as close as possible to the exhaust part of the firebox. Then leave the stove door open a half inch or so till the flue warms and it starts drawing nicely.

You will always have initial draw problems with a cold chimney as mentioned above with the cold plug

Yep agree with the blow torch option, we use an electric paint stripper to do the same. Sit it in the stove and leave the door slightly ajar, 5 mins and never an issue. You will find that the problem will be worse on damp warmer days. Our sweep suggested this method and also said you shouldn't shut the stove up when it its out, leave the ash door open (only when the stove is out!!) as this will allow the flue to breathe and prevent it getting cold. CDO

Dont know if this is right for your stove but on mine ( Burley ) When you light the kindling the air slide is fully open and the door is open a crack ( there is a first latch position for this ) This makes it roar and all it is doing is heating the flue . Add small logs now and then to fee it . After about ten mins add some more logs and shut door but leave air slide fully open . This warms the body of the stove . Once the stove is up to temp move the air slide to where ever suits the draw on your chimney ( on mine just past half way ) so that the flames are sorta swirling above the logs but seem not to be touching them . Leave everything alone other than to add a big log as and when .

(Assuming your flu is clear)

If I leave my stove till the chimney is completely cold, my stove does exactly the same, I have to use a gas blow lamp firing up inside the firebox to get the up draught started, two minutes of that then start your kindling fire directly under the flue opening or as close as possible to the exhaust part of the firebox. Then leave the stove door open a half inch or so till the flue warms and it starts drawing nicely.

You will always have initial draw problems with a cold chimney as mentioned above with the cold plug

Thanks Dean,

Sounds like a good idea, will give that a go later

:thumbup1:

Sounds like a lack of pull or downdraft issue.

Pull will vary depending on windspeed, windy day = more pull. On a still day put a plumbers blow lamp into the stove for 5 or 10 minutes to warm the flue and get you a positive updraft before lighting your fire.

Downdrafts, also sounds likely, fit a Eurocowl anti down draft cowl.

Rotary cowls do increase updraft yes, when there is a wind blowing but wont help when there is no wind with is unusual.

You made another comment about smoke coming out from around the glass, this says that the glass it not airtight within the door, go to your local stove shop and buy a couple of meters of flat rope, this fits between the glass and door. Check also the the main door rope is tight, use folded paper sheets and see if you can pull them out when you close the doro on them. If so the door rope may also need attention or adjusting.

A

We had the same problem in our house lately. We have two stoves and only one was the problem, the chimney cowl was it. It was a curved cowl which is supposed to turn to face away from wind but in low winds it would not turn and smoke would blow back down chimney. Last week the problem was solved at three in the morning with smoke alarms sounding....in need of new cowl. Other cowl works well, it has slits and spins.