Council tree squad overmanned?

Mike Dempsey

Its easy to notice the 7 guys standing around in a yard but they will be earning bugger all, what you don't see is "planners" "communications managers" "systems analysts" et al who sit in flash offices, armed with i phones, hi tech gadgetry and huge salaries, thats where the inefficiencies lie.

And when the inevitable "restructuring /efficiencies" happen, it is the grunt on the ground who loses his job..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wholeheartedly agree with Tree Pandas assessment.

Bin there had that done to me, Consultants ALWAYS start at the bottom and work up.

Plus make operationally unsound decisions, like driving a fully laden bin lorry up a very hill to collect the last few bins.

The driver used to crawl up, turn and then trickle back down stopping as required.

I thought that eminently sensible.

The Consultant thought it a waste of time.

Oh!

Plus collecting bins from outside the main secondary school, which lies in a cil-de-sac........................ at 15:30??

He again could not be convinced as the the daftness of this plan.

All,

Whilst enjoying a coffee with Senior Managment/Inhuman Resources.

Every public job is open to abuse and one of the most abused is the NHS

I do think that there,s a lot of generalisation here guys which is very unfair,mthere are some real grafters in the public sector and they should not be tarred with the same brush as the non grafters.

If a customer said they had been ripped off by a Tree Surgeon, it would be unfair for that customer to then go round saying all Tree Surgeons are rip off merchants, would it not ?

Dont get me started on the NHS!

the other half works for them and when she tells me about it it makes my blood boil!

If i ran my company like they do i properly would be in jail ( and without a doubt bankrupt in about 5mins).

tarring everybody with the same brush reminds me of a funny episode i had once.

Doing so subcontract work in Wokingham berks and a guy walking his dog comes up to me and starts having a go, we r all cowboys etc.

Totally confused so asked a few questions and it turns out he had emplyed some gypsies in Nottingham to do work and had got stung.

I pointed out that it costs thousands of pounds to achieve the qualifications we have to be a tree surgeon.

Not interested.

So i changed track. Recently a young boy had sadly been mauled to death by a dog. So i said see you dogs- horrible dangerous things. They should all be destroyed as they go around killing children!

He didnt say a work but did a quick about turn and a hasty retreat.

oh and actually i love dogs and have my own but didnt tell him that:thumbup:

Probably, such behavouir is unfortunately endemic in Local Government:blushing:

I could easily say too much.

So I will desist.

But I remain at heart, despite 30 years local Government Service, a deeply fustrated, working farmers son.

The good cannot be rewarded for their productive efforts and generally move on to other jobs, so who remains?

There are however, a number of diligent hardworking staff among the mix, but not enough of them at any level , plus handicapped by flawed short term decisions made for political purposes by the Council.

Dozens of honest to God made up jobs too, some of them staffed by the lovelist people. But still, nonetheless, made up jobs burning scarce budgets and resources.

Regards,

Marcus

I currently work for council (as well as running my own business) and this statement is pretty much bang on the nail.

I'll add that there seems to be a feet under the table mentality. Many people not capable of doing the job but have their feet firmly ensconced under the table with no chance of them being moved on because it's in the too hard basket or the people above them are also feet under the table employees.