Yard Firewood tractor

melvyn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pertinent thread for me!

We have a Leyland 270, did a lot of muck shifting with a 3 ton trailer over the last 5 yrs, never used the pto until last yr, then did about 15hrs with a big rotovator and maybe 10hrs with an 8" chipper. First time I used it this yr was with the chipper, after 20hrs or so chipping <4" crack willow the pto shaft coupling/clutch (front splines in the tube) disintegrated, found this is a common problem on older leylands ( think ours was 1979) having got some info from some restorer type chaps if it was worth fixing, sensibly it'd need 2 new clutches as well as the pto coupling bits, £800 in parts alone, so we're scrapping it.

Having found the issues with the pto drive chain on Leylands, I wouldn't have another.

Getting a fully restored Ford 3000, just had 2 new clutches, 47HP should run the chipper, splitter and the rotavator. Supposed to be a good workhorse. Replacement parts are available, cheap, and they're relatively easy to maintain. Ours is costing £2700.

I looked at MF's, read people recommending 590's and 290's on here. Some advice I got from the restorer chaps (which sounded good to me) was not to bother with anything newer than 1980 as thereafter just about every tractor needs to be plugged in to the dealer’s interrogation and reprogramming box whenever anything goes wrong. These boxes are made for a particular model and local dealer apparently has shelves stacked with these black boxes. So, expensive and not user maintainable.

HTH

Edited by Pumpy

Forget Ford or Massey- too many anorak collectors pushing up prices.

£2k buys you:

a. A Massey Ferguson 35x / Ford 3000 in average condition, no cab, single speed PTO, basic hydraulics (not spooled), no power steering etc, three gears, 1 reverse, no loader

or b. An International 454 with a power loader, power steering, cab (may be rotten though!) 4 speed shuttle gearbox (4 high, 4 low, 4 reverse) 2 speed PTO, proper hydraulic spool valve (independant of linkage) hydraulic brakes.

No brainer. David Brown are also value for money.

Forget Ford or Massey- too many anorak collectors pushing up prices.

£2k buys you:

a. A Massey Ferguson 35x / Ford 3000 in average condition, no cab, single speed PTO, basic hydraulics (not spooled), no power steering etc, three gears, 1 reverse, no loader

or b. An International 454 with a power loader, power steering, cab (may be rotten though!) 4 speed shuttle gearbox (4 high, 4 low, 4 reverse) 2 speed PTO, proper hydraulic spool valve (independant of linkage) hydraulic brakes.

No brainer. David Brown are also value for money.

HI MATE YOUR right there mate 454 inter very good tractor :thumbup1:jon :thumbup:

Would that be a make shift equivalent of the Continental "750" PTO setting?

I mostly run 540 PTO stuff off the 1000 shaft on the old 1490.

Since engine revs for PTO operation are marked at about 2000, it equates to about 1150 on the 1000 shaft.

To be honest I generally tweek the revs till "it" sounds right, perhaps a trifle faster, perhaps a trifle slower.

PS

Oh ere, a low houred 4630 :confused1:2WD Ford also entered in this same unreserved liquidation auction.

It was a very reputable company and the gear was all well looked about.

I am aware I am like a child:blushing: in a sweetie shop, I hate auctions too, it all happens too fast for me.

Edited by difflock