Bad payers

Steve Bullman

I think 30 days is too long after completion, 2 weeks is more reasonable for both parties. Also if I've spent a month doing one job (which I regularly do) then I will have eaten into my float quite a bit without regular payments you get with small jobs.

If I order materials and get an invoice it gets paid within 48hrs, I would consider it pretty rude if a domestic customer held onto my money for 30 days after the job has been finished.

The trouble with commercial organisations is the amount of faffing around that has to go on before the invoice a actually goes through the system.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have many accounts with all manner of suppliers, they all give me 30 days, why should I begrudge my customers of the same??

Because these company's have a much higher turnover than you and me so they can afford the 30 day period

So I'm guessing that you need the materials to complete the job so you get paid which means they get paid. That's why the 30 day period for them

Edited by CJM

Small claims court is way to go

We put 24 people in court in 12 months

Load of grief but too much £££ to ignore

Got it all in

But even after winning we had to put baliffs into axa insurance co......

Pillochs

WHAT? 24?

The same family of crims or something?:001_huh:

You've got to start asking yourself

"Have I got MUG tattooed on my forehead?":001_tongue:

Ty

I do a lot of labouring for an engineer who does acoustic/generator installation for big companies, and he is always paid on a minimum of 30 days wait, so so am I when I work for him, that's fine by me as I knew the deal full well when I started working for him.

But if a domestic client wanted to wait 30 days to pay me id be pretty peeed off really, they new what they were having done, when and how much it would be, so why would it take more than a couple of days to sort out payment? (Providing they were happy with the work, obviously).

I do a lot of labouring for an engineer who does acoustic/generator installation for big companies, and he is always paid on a minimum of 30 days wait, so so am I when I work for him, that's fine by me as I knew the deal full well when I started working for him.

But if a domestic client wanted to wait 30 days to pay me id be pretty peeed off really, they new what they were having done, when and how much it would be, so why would it take more than a couple of days to sort out payment? (Providing they were happy with the work, obviously).

Exactly!

If you need to wait 30 days it's because other people need paying first, but if you work direct for the payer 30 days isn't acceptable

I'm not moaning about the 30 days net; that's my commercial terms too but overdue payments and all the old excuses in the book; big well known co; I'm buying their credit report tonight...

edit: anyone know the best place to buy company credit reports from? Thanks.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I'm not moaning about the 30 days net; that's my commercial terms too but overdue payments and all the old excuses in the book; big well known co; I'm buying their credit report tonight...

edit: anyone know the best place to buy company credit reports from? Thanks.

They're the worst. The only time I have got close to taking Small Claims Court action was with a well known national car hire company. :thumbdown:

How late do you think is acceptably late?

4+ grand invoiced December '13, 30 days net terms but nothing despite a courteous email and 'phonecall.

Am I being impatient and unreasonable or quite within my rights to be getting frustrated?

you are not being unreasonable.they are late