the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

today we did a tree thats been on the cards for a few years now stood dead for 2-3 years they were hoping it would spring back into life but no surprise to us it hasn't so out it comes.

Nice vid James. How long did it take to finish?

Was the drop zone tight? There looked to be a few bits that could have been let run a bit more, but it's hard to tell from the video.

Looked like a fun job.

Nice vid James. How long did it take to finish?

Was the drop zone tight? There looked to be a few bits that could have been let run a bit more, but it's hard to tell from the video.

Looked like a fun job.

Wasnt to bad joe just the gates to miss really, had to lower it all to save the lawn but took me 4hours climbing to strip it to the bare pole ready to go back today to lower the stem and then fell the rest. Theres always bits that could be let run but not with my groundies im affraid!!

today we did a tree thats been on the cards for a few years now stood dead for 2-3 years they were hoping it would spring back into life but no surprise to us it hasn't so out it comes.

Bet that was fun to chip :thumbdown:

Lovely fire wood :thumbup1:

@5.30 you have the lowering rope running inside your strop thats round the stem, the rope almost jumps off the rigging point, if it had done, it would have been no fun at all!! Would have been better to put the lowering line outside your strop :thumbup1:

Bet that was fun to chip :thumbdown:

Lovely fire wood :thumbup1:

@5.30 you have the lowering rope running inside your strop thats round the stem, the rope almost jumps off the rigging point, if it had done, it would have been no fun at all!! Would have been better to put the lowering line outside your strop :thumbup1:

The chipping is what slowed us down with our tiny chipper. You raise a good point with the lowering line, in the flesh i was 100% it would catch in the crotch if i was in any dout i would have quickly just stuck a redirect pulley in.

Couple of hours this morning lowering the stem height till we could fell it onto some old tyres cut up into 12inch rings for them to be picked up by a front loader. All ready for stump grinding now.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1435241365.094755.jpg.16c0a5f320c3713bc2a583925e10a4d6.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1435241349.576376.jpg.3f5484357b83859688faac1a93a26b4d.jpg

Nice work james ,Hope you put the price up by a tenner every week they left it.

What was up with the steel cable rich ??

The steel cable was placed about a third of the way up the tree. Quite a long time ago. The stems had started to absorb it and it was rusty as, so a consultant went in the and cut it for some reason, they then bored 60cm into the trunk and said it was knackered and to tell it. The home owner got a second opinion from the guy who used to own this company and he suggested the cobra system higher in the crown and a tidy up and some slight end weight reduction.

Wasnt to bad joe just the gates to miss really, had to lower it all to save the lawn but took me 4hours climbing to strip it to the bare pole ready to go back today to lower the stem and then fell the rest. Theres always bits that could be let run but not with my groundies im affraid!!

Fair play, I wasn't really criticising. I've seen some of your rigging vids and enjoyed each one. Terrible shot of a moustache in one vid if I recall :biggrin:.

I have one lad on my team who really makes me proud on the lowering, but sometimes when it comes to logs he finds it harder to guage than brash.