Glyphosate! Very serious heads up!

redmoosefaction

At least with the agricultural use of Glyphosphate the buggers of farmers are so tight/thrifty they can be trusted not to use to excess:lol:

Good point but the same is not true of golf courses or university campuses where I see herbicides used excessively, nitwork rail seem fairly liberal too.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had success with Eco Plugs? i have used them recently but too early to see any results.

Morning Brett,

According to a very reliable source, Eco-plugs are very effective, if adminsitered correctly, but they too contain Glyphosate so note usre what the future for them is?

Maybe, because it's applied in a conatined, concentrated form and not sprayed, there is a way of retaining it...I dunno, "watch this space I guess".

Cheers..

Paul

I've always considered glyphosate applied in a cut just behind the bark all round and then capped with a sliver of the tree cut from the stump previously to be fairly contained and protected.

I think so called eco plugs are a way of making us spend unnecessarily though I like the idea of not carrying liquid glyphos about.

I still find glyphos extreemly effective.

I am worried that it causes cancer. If it causes cancer. This has yet to be proved I assume. Lets get it in perspective - beer causes cancer and you wouldn't worry about necking 10 pints of the stuff. In fact salt causes cancer.:001_smile:

Most chemicals get taken off the market and I think this is often down to detection in the water supply. It is important for anyone using chemicals to use them responsibly- not the old fashioned way.

I can understand why farmers use glyphos

3L per hectare= about £8 - pretty cheap weed control. Try weeding by hand- I've done it- =hard work

Pretty worrying as I used 'roundup' all the time for a good few years and the thoughts then were that is was harmless to humans and so not to worry if you inhaled a bit here or there.

There's an article here,

'Since glyphosate is being marketed as a safe and environmentally friendly product and its use is so extensive'

which sort of summed up how I used to feel about it.

Full article here if interested:

Glyphosate fact sheet

:biggrin:

Pretty worrying as I used 'roundup' all the time for a good few years and the thoughts then were that is was harmless to humans and so not to worry if you inhaled a bit here or there.

There's an article here,

'Since glyphosate is being marketed as a safe and environmentally friendly product and its use is so extensive'

which sort of summed up how I used to feel about it.

Full article here if interested:

Glyphosate fact sheet

:biggrin:

If you read the whole article to the Conclusion, it does warn you that it can be harmful to humans! So with no offence intended you were perhaps a bit naive to feel safe about using it and not worrying about "inhaling a bit here and there".

Like anything else in this world, you have to read the small print, not just skim them to cherry pick the information you want to see/hear.

The document itself is dated from 1996, so in reality "a heads up" thread should'nt really be necessary. The dangers have been available in the public domain for at least 16 years!

Here is the conclusion paragraph from the afore mentioned document.

Conclusion

Glyphosate can be an effective tool in weed control programmes and is relatively less harmful than many of the products which compete with it in the market place. There is nevertheless evidence of toxic effects on humans as well as environmental toxicity, indirect environmental damage and resistance in some target weed species.

Since glyphosate is being marketed as a safe and environmentally friendly product and its use is so extensive, there is a danger that damage to non-target plants including endangered species will increase. Habitat damage and destruction will occur more frequently and more instances of weed resistance will appear. Cultivation of glyphosate resistant crops will potentially exacerbate these problems.

So while glyphosate provides a welcome move away from chemicals which are highly toxic to humans and other non target organisms, and from chemicals which cause direct and lasting damage to the environment, it may be introducing more subtle indirect forms of damage of which users need to be aware.

If you read the whole article to the Conclusion, it does warn you that it can be harmful to humans!

I know - but I used round up regularly 6 years ago - I only looked up this article today!

It may have been published for years (although may not have necessarily been available online all that time) but I never thought to look up anything about roundup as everyone else selling and using it said it was harmless and a 'good one to use!'

That was the general opinion of it.

Iv'e used glyphosate quite a lot over the years. We were always told it was safe, but I always aired on the side of caution. I always wore waterproofs, wellingtons, nitrile gloves and a face mask. When I got home, I washed my waterproofs, gloves and put all my clothing in the washer. I also always used a blue dye to see any leaks or spillage.

I'm glad I took these precautions and am not worried too much about my own health.

I'm not sure what to believe with any medical research as things seem to change from day to day, depending on who you listen to.